Used ECM’s?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some information

I have had a series of issues with my boat, dealing with the ECM, and had to bring it in to the dealership. Although my boat was still covered the warranty, the boat was spitting out ECM error codes. The dealer had replaced the ECM several times and got nowhere. They have been working on my boat for months, but they believe the issue points to ECM incompatibility. They seem to be getting new '17 ECMs, not '12, and can't get it to communicate properly with the rest of the boat. The service manager had told me that although Scarabs have Rotax engines and similar design, their ECM's run different software and require a different program to diagnose those. As of now, your best best is to find an ECM from the same year and model as your boat, to be safe, as making newer, or older ECMs, compatible with your boat is difficult and very time consuming.

Which ECM are you looking for?

I have a 2012 Seadoo Challenger 210 SE, with 2x 215hp engines. The original problematic ECM was allowing the engine to run and operate perfectly, but once shut down, it wouldn't power down with the other engine. When the engine was forced to power down, either draining the batteries or from battery switch, and then powered back on, it couldn't retrain the hours on the odometer before it was forced to power down and the odometer after would go back. Essentially, if you start driving at 110hrs and go for 3hrs to 113hrs, with both engines reading 113hrs, then cut the batteries back off and on, one would read 110hrs while the other reads correctly at 113hs.

I say that because the dealer replaced the ECM 5 times, even swapping out the other engine's perfectly working ECM with a new ECM. Even with the new ECMs, the engines with the new ECMs can't power down and, when they are and back on, odometer goes back. When the replaced ECMs on both engines simultaneously, both engines exhibited the problem together, instead of originally one.

Not sure if this is still relevant, but did find out that, for my boat at least, the newer 2017 ECMs were able to be programed to work on my engines. They are still working on repairs, but upgrading my original ECM for my working engine showed no issues.

I stand corrected, I have no idea what they're doing and what they ended up doing. But I had some serious engine failure after they "repaired" my boat. Not sure if it had to do with the ECMs or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back