Upgrades made ski slower

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

timtooltime

I have a 2003 gtx s/c 185 hp. Stock was 59-60 mph. Wear ring was a little worn so I had it replaced along with some upgrades hoping to pick up some speed. The shop installed a Solas Prop, pump wedge and Intake grate. I went out and rode it and Im only getting 58 mph now. Was hoping for 63-64 mph. Is something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Heh...here's the deal.

Without more ponies you can't twist a taller prop as fast (rpm wise) as a smaller oem prop because of the additional load. The grate is causing more drag because it's grabbing more water...again...w/o the increase in power you're putting a larger load on the motor.

Any wonder why you're moving a lil slower?

Build a DIY 4" up front intake...you'll get your speed back maybe a bit more w/ increased throttle reponse.

Thanks for the info. The dealer that did the work rode it yesterday, and said it was cavitating and only getting to 7000 rpm instead of 7500. What you explained makes sense and Ill look into the intake set up and see what happens.

Thanks for the info. The dealer that did the work rode it yesterday, and said it was cavitating and only getting to 7000 rpm instead of 7500. What you explained makes sense and Ill look into the intake set up and see what happens.

That a little backwards. Cavitations causes higher rpm not lower. I would look into a dealer that knows a little more about Seadoo's

What Solas Impeller (not pump) did the dealer put in it? I'm looking for the pitch numbers not just the Solas model number.

Cavitation is more like the pump "slipping" in the water, and it lets the engine rpm's rev high (just like an automobile that's spinning out on a slick road). Either you misunderstood the dealer or the dealer is blowing smoke up your tailpipe.

- Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back