updating stereo on my 97 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

joechallenger88

New to the sea doo boating world. I am looking to upgrade the sound system in the boat. I am planning on adding a second battery and putting the stereo on its own circuit. We spend a lot of time on the beach and coving out, so i will be going with a deep cycle battery. I do not want to overload the boats electrical system, or the stators on the motors. I do not mind plugging in a charger after every outing.

I am planning on installing some 8 inch coax speakers, where the current 6 1/2 speakers are, I do not want to install a sub at this point. Thinking about adding a third set of 8's.

Does anyone on here have any install pictures? I need to find a place to mount a couple compact amps. Any help will be much appreciated.

Hi joechallenger 88...I also have a 97 Challenger 1800, I just replaced the head unit and speakers in my boat and am happy with it. I didn't add any amps since just running 2 new 6 1/2 speakers. Get plenty of bass due to factory speaker locations. I just went with cheap head unit (less than $20) that has bluetooth, mp3 and usb and radio. Also cheap Pyle marine speakers (less than $20). Have to cut the holes for the speakers out a little larger due to speaker size. Be sure and put tape around the hole so you don't scratch your boat though. I got the head unit and speakers at Wally World...lol.. As for amp placement I would think you could mount them in the same compartment under cooler or in the glove box? Maybe mount the battery under cooler also so that you don't have to run wire all the way to the engine compartment. Also be careful when wiring new speakers..don't let the wires drop down inside hull, tricky to fish them back up to the hole...(ask me how I know), and I had to crimp my connectors a little as they were loose when connecting to my new speakers. The factory radio wiring at the head unit also had the wiring for front and rear speakers combined going to the single speakers..I guess to put out 8 ohms? Anyways I just left them connected when wiring the new head unit and speakers. Good luck...

Thanks for the info Glenn. I cant find to many forums on custom stereo jobs on these boats. I found one with pictures and it looked awesome, but didnt have any pictures of amp mounting locations. I have already purchased all the components for the stereo, but am Working on a cavitation issue at the moment, stereo is on hold for a while.

I haven't had mine on the water but twice, once on a test drive and then once to get it off of the trailer to replace trailer bunks...good luck and hope you get it figured out.

Check out the blue sea mini add-a-battery plus kit,
www dot bluesea dot com /products/7655/Mini_Add-A-Battery_Plus_Kit_-_65A_%5BNorth_America%5D

I haven't bought mine yet but it is what I will be adding to mine In prep for amps and more speakers. Comes with battery cut off switch, has built in charger, isolator so you don't drain starting battery and automatic charging relay for charging house(stereo) battery while you are causing. I am trying to figure out if it's a bad idea to use a jetski sized battery for my starting battery, the thought is since it is a pair of jetski motors after all it will have no problem staring the motors, the starting battery will get charged up faster allowing more charging juice to the house battery. There is the overkill side of me that wants to fit stators from the 787 rfi because they have more watts.

Last edited:
Add Sea-Doo forum dot com /threads/1997-seadoo-challenger-1800-hydro-turf-stereo-install-and-leds-finally-done.48628/
He did a swell job on his

I'm interested in seeing how much power drain there actually is while running my cheap in dash stereo and 2 speakers...I have an extra 12 volt sealed battery I use on my walk behind golf club carrier, thinking about hooking that up to use for stereo only and see how much charge is lost at the end of the day. Anyone added a battery tray below the ice box on a Challenger 1800? Looks like it would be easy and the stereo is in same compartment for wiring. I would think you could add a small solar panel like the ones for phones to trickle charge while on the lake also. Usually only boating when sunny anyways..at least that's how we start out. I'm old and not going to add a bunch of stereo equipment other than the basic system I have now so don't need that much power...Usually when in the cove with friends someone has a better system anyways...don't want to compete. lol.. I enjoy seeing what everyone else is doing with their boats and also gives some good ideas. I like the new LED lighting and have installed them on my camper as well as friends campers also. Good idea to go to the camper and boat shows and see what new things are being added...then just add them to yours without having to buy a new camper or boat...I'm not cheap...I'm frugal...lol

The quick answer is: most "normal" car stereo head units connected to 2 speakers pull about 2 amps at normal listening volumes. Your new stereo head unit may claim 40 Watts x 4 channels. This is a mystical, theoretical number based on maximum power output at maximum distortion while on the moon. The useful number is how many watts of RMS power is the unit capable of producing? Most will be between 11 and 15 watts/ Channel.
For the math, let's assume 12W. Since we know amperage = watts/volts, and we know you'll play it Loud, your two speaker system will draw 2 amps..12W ÷ 12V = 1A (X 2 speakers).
Some people say, " hey man, I have a 1000w amp!" The same theories apply. Most cheaper amp manufacturers ridiculously bloat output numbers. I looked at my friends "1000W" Boss amp and it only put out 180 Watts RMS per Channel at 4 Ohms.

Most people simply don't need an extra battery on their boats. A group 27 deep cycle provides around 100 amp-hours. Even if you drew 5 amps for 4 hours, that's only 20 amp hours. That should leave plenty of reserve for starting and maximum recommended discharge.

Agreed..unless someone is installing amps and more speakers...etc...should be fine. Usually only on the water for 4 or 5 hours at the most...and when you are pulling a skier or tuber...the battery is charging...so don't really see the need to install an extra battery unless you're going to be sitting all day with the amps and speakers cranking...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back