Underwater Transom lights - best way to wire them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkkoeb

So I am looking at adding a set of underwater transom lights on my speedster 200. I will most likely install my switch on the main dash panel but looking for the best way to wire up the lights? Is there available power inside the dash that I can tap into for the switch or do I need to pull wires up from the engine compartment? I don't want to come right off the battery as I want to make sure the lights go off if the main discount switch is turn offed. Any help would be great

So that switch, you can wire the lights off that switch directly. One way is to unscrew the bolt, slide the eye connector on and put the bolt back on and it would lead to the light after your new dash switch. Second option again is remove the bolt on the main switch drop in an eye connector and run that to a distribution block. Then from the block to your dash switch.

There's two bolts on your switch one from the battery and one doing to the rest of the boat choose the right one and it will kill with the main switch.

I did an independent fused line from the 2nd battery to a switch mounted behind the drivers seat since I didn’t have room in the cluster. Wanted control to turn on off independently of the main lights.

I did an independent fused line from the 2nd battery to a switch mounted behind the drivers seat since I didn’t have room in the cluster. Wanted control to turn on off independently of the main lights.
Think if I were to do this I would run the wires to the same switch the engine light is on. Keeps it separate and in general you don't really use the engine light. If your boat has one that is.

No engine light on mine either. I will go with the 10 amp fuse, I ran all the wires today and connected the hot side to the main boat switch. Lights should arrive early next week, just need to install them and test out. I think I am also going to add LED lights to my cup holders and will tie these lights into my existing interior light switch.

No engine light on mine either. I will go with the 10 amp fuse, I ran all the wires today and connected the hot side to the main boat switch. Lights should arrive early next week, just need to install them and test out. I think I am also going to add LED lights to my cup holders and will tie these lights into my existing interior light switch.

I’ve been thinking of adding the lights to cup holders too. Would love to see how they come out.

For current three interior lights I changed them out to these LED blue bulbs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015HTUKR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For the transom underwater lights I went with these blue LED

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V4RCZR9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You’ll be happy with both, interior are really bright.

I have three of the 27led transom lights like what you ordered. Very pleased with the resultIMG_3807.JPGIMG_0398.JPG

I had a chance to get the lights installed today

Attachments

• light1.jpg
    light1.jpg
    782.2 KB · Views: 44
  • light2.jpg
    light2.jpg
    653.1 KB · Views: 39
  • light3.jpg
    light3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • light4.jpg
    light4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
  • light4.jpg
    light4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
yep made sure I put plenty around the base. Cup holders and lights should arrive this week and will get them installed. Already ran all the wires

Looks sweet. I'd like to see pics of it when it's in the water with the lights on. It's probably going to be my next project after putting an amp in the boat.

Just finished up my install of the LED cup holders

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
Looks good. Will definitely be doing the underwater lights and cup lights when I get to it.
I'll raise you 2 though. Toggle and dash lights:) Although I've seen some people say not to do the dash lights due to visibility but I don't seem to have issues. Camera doesn't capture the best of pictures at night with lights on either.

IMG_2468.JPGIMG_2463.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back