Twin engine Impellers. Different part number

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

delonnelj

I have a 2012 230 SP. I have both superchargers for the 215(430hp) and the 260(520hp). Meaning I can go from 430hp to 520hp. I already have the proper injectors. I want to purchase new Impellers The starboard and port side have different part numbers. Why? Are they not the exact same?

Can I use the 520hp impeller when running 430hp? They have the same diameter. Pitch is different 10-21(520) 14-23(430)

Back in the day I owned a twin engine inboard boat and one engine turned clockwise and the other counterclockwise. They called them right and left-handed engines. Port and starboard engines turn in opposing directions. Has to do with torque and going in a straight line. The propellers also were right and left handed because they turned in opposing directions. I believe it is the same with twin jet drives.

It's an attempt by BRP to try to overcome the torque effect of both engines rotating the same directions. Not sure if it makes a difference.

It's an attempt by BRP to try to overcome the torque effect of both engines rotating the same directions. Not sure if it makes a difference.

OK so both Rotax engines rotate in the same direction. Didn't know that. Are you sure they turn in the same direction? That will cause torque and steering problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her is the answer I found. It talks about a twin engine Yamaha jet boat but the theory is the same for a SeaDoo twin.

Twin Engine Pump Loading

The phenomenon described above affects the twin motor jet boats in an entirely different way. The water intake surfaces on the bottom of twin motor hulls are on angled surfaces on each side of the hull. This “angled water entry” gives an effective entry angle that mimics the pump loading of turning the boat. This means that (while driving in a straight line) the drivers side pump (starboard) is receiving water at an angle that mimics a left hand turn (thus loading the engine rpms down). At the same time, the passenger side (port) impeller is receiving water at an angle that mimics a right hand turn (resulting in higher rpms and a closer cavitation threshold). This is why the left (port) motors of most twin-engine Yamaha jet-boats tend to run higher rpms than the right (starboard) engines.

Getting past the whole theoretical aspect, the functional result is what’s important.. Because of the phenomenon described above, the right side pump is generating more actual thrust than the left pump at any given rpm. This causes the steering wheel to constantly be “tugging” toward a left hand turn, and at the same time causes the left side engine to rev higher than the right engine in order to generate the same thrust.

After weeks of testing, we eventually resolved all these problems (on twin motor Yamahas) by fitting better design impellers on the pumps, and applying a noticeably steeper pitch to the left hand side prop. The end result is engines that turn virtually identical rpms all the way through the throttle movement range, and an end to the steering wheel constantly “tugging” to the left. In most cases, the “off-the-shelf” pitch of the props we chose were not right on the money, so we custom pitch each pair that we sell to the specs that worked best during our on-water tests. Installing these “staggered pitch” aftermarket impellers is one of the most effective improvements that you can make to your twin motor Yamaha jet-boat.

Wow. Thanks. Was getting comfy just buying two of everything since it's the 215/255/260 engine. I'm glad I asked, I will purchase the port and starboard impellers, in the next few days, for the 260 and post a follow-up on how well they are.

If any one can offer choices on the brand and links to the impellers I will surely appreciate.

Wow. Thanks. Was getting comfy just buying two of everything since it's the 215/255/260 engine. I'm glad I asked, I will purchase the port and starboard impellers, in the next few days, for the 260 and post a follow-up on how well they are.

If any one can offer choices on the brand and links to the impellers I will surely appreciate.

I replaced my impeller a few years back with a Solas but I have a SeaDoo 180 single engine. Don't know about custom pitch impellers for twins. I'm sure Solas will know.

Thanks. Impellers are ready to rock. Can't wait!!!
388.jpg

For the people wondering about this:

I got my backup set of impellers out while I was moving some stuff around in the garage, and the leading edge of the impeller to the next blade (shortest point) was different on the two impellers.

Port averaged 32.7mm
Starboard averaged 32.4mm

Approximately 1%

Minor variation on the 3 blades of both impellers, due to them being used impellers.

So I installed the Impellers and the boat handles like a jetski again. Extremely responsive. I'm using the 520 HP Impellers. I have the 260 SC to put on, just haven't felt the need to since it's already a gas guzzler at 430HP with the 215 SC. My top speed is reduced by 10HP because I'm only spinning to 7000 rpms with those blades. But I have zero cavitation which makes all tows so smooth.

Taking everything in to consideration in the post above and the reason for this is mentioned above, using ski ramp settings, take offs are too light so I have to do it manually.

I get your point on the lowest speed setting on a ramp of 5. You are correct. 5 would be more for slalom skiing, I believe.

Delonnelj,
Where did you get the part numbers for those impellers? I added the ET 127 wheels to my superchargers, basically a X-Charger upgrade. Looking to switch impellers now as it seems I can cavitate the stock impellers all the way to WOT if I want. Here is what I have found so far, but I haven't found the part numbers you ordered.

Implellers
Port
267000653 215hp 210 Challenger
204160353 255hp 200 Speedster
267000569 260hp 230 Challenger

Starboard
267000642 215hp 210 Challenger
267000569 255hp 200 Speedster
267000442 260hp 230 Challenger

Looks like you're on the right track. The numbers you have have been succeeded with the numbers I have. I just hit 112 hours. Not in a rush to ditch my current SCs but I also can't wait to match my power to my Impellers. I have the xchargers sitting.

Curious .. are your rpms at WOT past 8 right now

Last edited by a moderator:
RPM at WOT is still 8000 or 7980, still 55mph top speed of course as the impeller and rpm is the same. But you can feel it has more power. Cavitates the impellers much more now going idle to WOT than before. If you can only pull 7000 rpm with the impellers you installed, I believe that means you need more hp to spin them to the full rpm. Where did you order your impellers from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back