trying to get to carb filter

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

joesympatico

Hi group I have the typical problem with no power on my 98 XP Starts and idles ok but as soon as you give it throttle it dies. It seems to be just running on one cylinder as I pulled one plug wire off as it was running and it made no difference one plug. So I checked for spark and it was ok. So I am assuming its a clogged filter in the carb( yes I have the grey fuel lines) and I did clean the filter under the hood.

I am trying to get at the carbs to clean the filters but I am having trouble getting the exhaust chamber off.( the big black sucker) The problem I'm having is trying to get the bottom bolt off , it seems impossible to get a wrench or socket in that small space, any suggestion on how to get at that bolt or is unbolting the manifold the way to go.

thanks guys

Wow!......

Man, they did put that sucker in a hard place to get at. I just looked at your exploded view.....man, it's tight to work on my carbs in my boat, I can't imagine doing this in a ski.

You may need to "McGyver" it and either grind down a wrench or socket. I was trying to zoom in on the drawing, I see the size is M10, but can't tell if they are allen head type or bolt type. Your probably going to have to make some kind of special tool. You might think about going to your local auto parts store and looking in their tools sections. I found a tool to fit my purpose one time, that I didnt' even know existed.

When you get that tuned pipe off, you'll also notice, on the PTO carb, a small diaphragm pump. This is your accelerator pump. It will have 2 small lines, splitting, one to each carb. With everything removed so you can see into the carbs, you'll see a brass nipple sticking out into the throat. This is where the fuel is pumped to when you squeeze on the throttle. It's meant to give you the initial burst of fuel to pick up power, then vacuum from the venturi takes over and uses the jets...You want to make sure it's working properly. I've found in the past, these small nipples gum up and slow the fuel flow or stop it all together..........

Last edited by a moderator:
i heard somewhere seadoo sells a wrench that is bent for this 1 bolt. somebody suggested heating and bending a regular wrench to fit.

That is correct. Just bend a wrench, that's what I did. Remember, you do not have to take that bottom nut off all the way, you have to loosen it a little then the whole pipe will left up.

First you must remove the two little air ducts using a 10mm wrench and a 10mm socket. Pull them both out.

The tuned pipe is easy to get off except for one friggen nut on the bottom by the carbs.

To get to the bottom nut on the pipe you can buy the special tool they make or make on like I did. Take a 15mm wrench and grind the box end down where it is really flat and thin.

Put the wrench in a vise and heat about 2 inches from the box end of the wrench till it gets really red. Use another bigger wrench and bend the end up enough to the right angle you need to get to the nut.

Google search "exaust tool seadoo" and you'll see a picture of it to go by. I had to bend a straighten mine a few times before I got to the correct angle. You don't have to totally remove the nut just loosen it enough because after you take the Allen bolts out the whole pipe will slide upwards out of the notch in the pipe.

Better order an exaust gasket if you take it off though cause you'll need it.
Hope this gets ya started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back