Trouble starting after switch from TCW3 to API-TC premix. 1999 gtx limited

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayhuiz36

So I purchased a 1999 seadoo gtx limited with the 951 engine and the guy that had it before me ran tcw3 in it. After seeing the sticker near the oil reservoir that says not to use TCW3 I realized I needed to make the change. The oil pump has been deleted and is premix only. So I disconnected the hoses and removed the baffle, labeled the hoses, removed them, and then removed the gas tank and capped oil tank/line. I siphon the gas that was mixed with TCW3 and emptied all buy maybe an ounce or so (few drops). Connected everything back up and put 10 gallons of 87 and 1 quart of API-TC quick silver in (3.2oz per Gal). I took it out and it was running noticeably smoother on the API-TC mixture. Then after a good ride, I didn't push it too hard to let it work out the tcw3. It's now having difficulty starting when on the tcw3 it always started right up. My friend suggested a hotter plug. Is there anything else I should check after draining the tcw3 from the ski? Hotter plugs for the more rich mixture? Is it just burning off the old carbon deposits? Fouled plugs? Any advice is appreciated. Also this is my first ski. Novice here.

Rebuild carburetors with genuine Mikuni parts.
New needles and seats
replace fuel selector valve
Replace gray Tampo fuel lines

So if the oil pump has been removed then the only thing you need to do is cap the little brass nipples on the intake manifold.

Chances are you didn’t reconnect the fuel lines or something electrical when you removed the oil tank and hoses.

32:1 is more oil than you need. 40:1 is fine for a recreation ski. Changing the two oils will not change anything with the way it runs. You don’t need to change plug heat range.

So if the oil pump has been removed then the only thing you need to do is cap the little brass nipples on the intake manifold.

Chances are you didn’t reconnect the fuel lines or something electrical when you removed the oil tank and hoses.

32:1 is more oil than you need. 40:1 is fine for a recreation ski. Changing the two oils will not change anything with the way it runs. You don’t need to change plug heat range.
I labeled all the lines on the baffle for the hoses and put them back in the same order. But the oil tank had a blue wire for the electrical on the tank did pop loose. Considering it is eliminated I figured it didn't need to be hooked up. As far as other electrical, what else could I have disconnected while removing the gas tank? I guess I'll review the MPEM and check all my connections, change plugs gapped at 0.22.

The oil sensor is just an idiot light and will not change the way it runs.

No do not change spark plug temperature.

Yes, go ahead with Hotter Plugs and BURN UP YOUR ENGINE...

If you want a better Fuel Mixture burning Spark Plug, get the Iridium Version, OEM HEAT SPEC.

Last edited:
Whatever happened it wasn't the type of oil you used. When reading your post I thought of the unnecessary work you did and the difficulty concerned. What a pain in the azz.

I'd do a compression check just to make sure I wasn't going down the wrong rabbit hole.

Watch for an engine runaway while you're playing around with the ski out of the water. 951's are notorious for that. If it does run away or try to... pull the choke. Good Luck !!

I’m with Templet…I find it difficult to see a
how a change in oil can so drastically affect a motor.,,rule out compression,,and and a possible mechanical failure.

So I changed the spark plugs and the previous owner had bkr6e running in it. I'm not sure, but from what I've read that is a hotter plug and I can't find anything that says it's a suitable sub for the standard br8es. Going to test it today and see if it starts. Don't have the means to do it on hose. So I guess I'll drop it in the lake. Here's to hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back