Trickle Charge & jump starrting & OIL on a brand new 2011 Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheappc

The dealer says that after I switch the battery to the off position, I can connect a trickle charger to the battery without disconnecting any cables? I just want to verify, because if that is true, that would be great.. On my 95 sportster I had to disconnect the battery cables before I trickle charge it...

Also, on the 95 sportster I couldn't jump start it from a running car it would burn out the computer, is it the same for the new 2011 & 2012's?

Also, I know dumb question, but what kind of oil does my boat use? Lol

Yeah you can charge it with the cables on. The switch basically acts as. Disconnect breaking the circuit and preventing feedback. Also no jump starting just like any other sea doo. As far as oil, check your owners manual. I think BRP recommends 10w40 full synthetic. If it were me, I'd buy the BRP brand. You spent almost 20 grand on a new boat, why skimp a few bucks once a year on oil.

Yeah you can charge it with the cables on. The switch basically acts as. Disconnect breaking the circuit and preventing feedback. Also no jump starting just like any other sea doo. As far as oil, check your owners manual. I think BRP recommends 10w40 full synthetic. If it were me, I'd buy the BRP brand. You spent almost 20 grand on a new boat, why skimp a few bucks once a year on oil.

10 w 40.. Wow can't believe it.. Thanks rfoster.. I have a gallon of XPS II Synthetic Im going to give it to the new owner of my 95 sportster.. :)

I would think they are right on the turning it off, but don't take my word for it, otherwise for oil they strongly recommend using the rotax approved oil.

4-TEC Normally Aspirated (NA) engines:
Bombardier 4-stroke oil SAE 10-40 (P/N 219700346) or
Bombardier 4-stroke Synthetic Oil (P/N 293600039)

4-TEC Supercharged and Supercharged Intercooled Engines:
Bombardier 4-stroke oil SAE 10-40 (P/N 219700346).
Synthetic oil should not be used on these engines.

I would think they are right on the turning it off, but don't take my word for it, otherwise for oil they strongly recommend using the rotax approved oil.

4-TEC Normally Aspirated (NA) engines:
Bombardier 4-stroke oil SAE 10-40 (P/N 219700346) or
Bombardier 4-stroke Synthetic Oil (P/N 293600039)

4-TEC Supercharged and Supercharged Intercooled Engines:
Bombardier 4-stroke oil SAE 10-40 (P/N 219700346).
Synthetic oil should not be used on these engines.

Synthetic Should NOT be used on supercharged models? Why?

I think that info might be old, I think that was because of the ceramic washers at the time.

What kind of trickle charger and how would you connect it?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-SpeedCharge-Battery-Maintainer-and-Charger/13005742

Remember to put your battery switch to "off" and plug in the battery tender 24 hours before going to the lake or your destination to have a great fully charged battery, is good to have a fully charged battery before you go out and have a lot of fun! :)

REMEMBER NEVER JUMP START YOUR BOAT FROM A RUNNING CAR/TRUCK..

also DO NOT PLUG IN THE CABLES "BACKWARDS" IF YOU DO, YOU CAN BLOW UP THE COMPUTER, take your time and make sure you are connecting them correctly

Last edited by a moderator:
Stupid question, Don't our boat has charging system in place.

Yes it does, but sometimes the battery drains, it was probably the biggest problem I had in my 2 stroke sportster, I think its a lot better now, but I did read in the manual that if you lounge and listen to the radio for a long time it could deplete the battery...

I leave my boat with the battery switch in the off position and my trickle charge on all the time, only disconnect it when I leave the garage to put the boat in the water. As long as the charger has a float switch, it will not over charge the battery, and your battery will be 100% fully charged when needed. Not sure about trying to charge while at anchor (lounging), I've heard the solar units aren't very efficient, if you need to charge during use, you may wish to add a second battery for stereo use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back