Traction mats

Status
Not open for further replies.

David P

Hi all

Looking at replacing the original traction mats on my 1995 xp and fitting hydro turf
My question is, I believe the original mats are fixed with a rivet.How do you remove them and fill the hole before laying the new mats
Thanks for your help

Hi all

Looking at replacing the original traction mats on my 1995 xp and fitting hydro turf
My question is, I believe the original mats are fixed with a rivet.How do you remove them and fill the hole before laying the new mats
Thanks for your help
I started at the back with a cold chisel wedged between the matt and hull then sheared each rivet, worked my way up to the front doing this.

Once mats are removed you can just push the remaining bit into the hull. When i did mine i read plenty of people just stick the turf over the holes with no problem. I used JB weld 2-part marine epoxy (bc it's white) to fill them in then lightly sanded.

I really need to do a how to on this......

Do this in the shade or the mats can shrink....

1. Pop the rubber plugs out of the factory rivets.
2. Drill the rivet heads off then pull the mats.
3. Use a punch and push the remaining rivets into the hull.
4. Clean with soap and water then acetone.
5. Use BondoGlass from walmart to fill the holes. TIP: when the BondoGlass just starts to gel and harden scrape it off with a new razor blade and you will have no sanding or clean-up.
6. Clean again with acetone when the BondoGlass is hard.
7. Use masking tape to align the mats.
8. Pull of 1/2 of the paper backing and use your tape to position the mats and push them down.
9. Lift the 1/2 of the mat and pull off the remaining paper backing and work from the middle out.
10. Use a roller or rubber mallet to put good pressure on all the mats.
11. Let sit for 36 hours before getting into the water for the adhesive to set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back