TPS fault on Vessel view

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozweego

I have vessel view on my boat which has been a lifesaver by either pointing out errors or giving me an idea what's going on.

I generally don't get it out very much by myself usually have family in tow. So when on the water I don't tend to go more than 35 mph. However a couple evenings now I've managed to get it by myself to try to see what my boat can do.

Prior to buying and during sea trials we were able to get up to 55 miles an hour (onboard speedo) and about 6 to 6500 RPM. The last couple times I've been out while using vessel view which is a more accurate reading, I can only hit 4900 RPM and max out at 41 - 42 miles per hour. When I go wide open throttle to hit the 4900 RPM I'm allerted to a TPS fault with vessel view.

I'm thinking my throttle position sensor has a fault and needs to be replaced however I'm wondering if my 4900 RPM Max and low top speed is a symptom? Just wondering if there's something else that maybe holding the boat back.

Thanks

I have vessel view on my boat which has been a lifesaver by either pointing out errors or giving me an idea what's going on.

I generally don't get it out very much by myself usually have family in tow. So when on the water I don't tend to go more than 35 mph. However a couple evenings now I've managed to get it by myself to try to see what my boat can do.

Prior to buying and during sea trials we were able to get up to 55 miles an hour (onboard speedo) and about 6 to 6500 RPM. The last couple times I've been out while using vessel view which is a more accurate reading, I can only hit 4900 RPM and max out at 41 - 42 miles per hour. When I go wide open throttle to hit the 4900 RPM I'm allerted to a TPS fault with vessel view.

I'm thinking my throttle position sensor has a fault and needs to be replaced however I'm wondering if my 4900 RPM Max and low top speed is a symptom? Just wondering if there's something else that maybe holding the boat back.

Thanks

What engine and year do you have?

Are you saying that VV and the tach are giving differing RPM? The onboard speedometer is frequently referred to as "Dream-o-meter". Trust a GPS.
I am not familiar with VV, but I have not had tach accuracy problems like you are describing.

If your engine is in fact only revving to 4900, time to start checking:
Compression. All plugs out, WOT, NOT in the water. Hoping for 135psi.
Spark. Are you getting spark x6?
Fuel. Are you getting fuel into all 6 cylinders?
Throttle. Are all your throttle plates opening all the way?
If EFI. Fuel injection pressure. Should be 36psi.

If your engine is revving to 6500rpm, start checking the jet drive. Looking up into the tunnel. What is the condition of the leading edges of the impeller? What is the condition of the vanes in the stator? What is the condition of the wear ring? Stator needs to be removed for inspecting vanes and wear ring.

Trust the VVM readings and not the guage readings. Best tool I ever bought for our 250 Opti was VVM

Any Speedo on a Boat or Snowmobile is a Dream-o-meter. VVM uses GPS and is directly connected to motor for RPM's

I belive the 240 should be around 5800 rpms's but if you have the Service Manual it will tell you what it is designed to be at. Since it is lower start checking all the items Tim mentioned

Thanks guys.

I'll definitely knock off that list Tim. Appreciate the step by step

I'll go over my service manual DB and see what I should getting for RPM. Also with Vesselview pointinge to the TPS, I'll start there and see where that takes me.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back