Tower or Bimini Top for a 2011 Sea Doo Speedster 150

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheappc

So what do you guys recommend for a bimini top? if you have pictures that would be great!

Also, I know I asked about the towers, I dont think I should put in a tower if it did not come from factory... but what are your opinions?

So what do you guys recommend for a bimini top? if you have pictures that would be great!

Also, I know I asked about the towers, I dont think I should put in a tower if it did not come from factory... but what are your opinions?

Nobody has seen a OEM bimini top? or Wake Tower at a great price?

jmcamper is the cheapest oem bimini you will find anywhere. Runs about $420 shipped to you. You can add a tower if you want. But i kinda think its a waste on the smaller boats, not much to wake on. You can pull a tube or skier already.

I bought just a standard bimini-top and made some minor adjustments at the two bars behind. (had to shorten them and changing the angle)
After the change it just fit to the original fittings. I'll post some pictures soon when I'm back in Germany.
I'm sure you can find a equal bimini in the states.
http://www.bootszubehoer-maier.de/B...--Sonnendach/Bimini-Top-200-213cm-Breite.html

Wow they look nice, thanks guys, you know I installed a Bimini for my previous sportster, this time Im going to do something different, I'm going to install it without screwing holes in the hole, just using some powerful 3m double sided tape what do you think?

Wouldn't do so. I did last time 75 km/h with the bimini up even the manual says max. 60 km/h :)
I have my doubt if a power tape keep the bimini on place.

Wow they look nice, thanks guys, you know I installed a Bimini for my previous sportster, this time Im going to do something different, I'm going to install it without screwing holes in the hole, just using some powerful 3m double sided tape what do you think?

That's not going to work. It will rip off within the first minute out on water. Nothing wrong with drilling holes. Just buy the oem Bimini and follow the directions. The next owner will think it came on the boat.

That's not going to work. It will rip off within the first minute out on water. Nothing wrong with drilling holes. Just buy the oem Bimini and follow the directions. The next owner will think it came on the boat.

Ok, it just freaked me out drilling holes in the hull before

Ok, it just freaked me out drilling holes in the hull before

If you order it from the factory with a Bimini or pay the dealer to install one, they do it the exact same way. When you buy the oem one, it comes with everything you need to look original.

I hope that cheappc don't sell his boat for next 10 years minimum LOL

I see that you got 1998 speedster and that thing looks a beauty to me..... I wish I'd be able to keep my boat that long and that clean

I hope that cheappc don't sell his boat for next 10 years minimum LOL

I see that you got 1998 speedster and that thing looks a beauty to me..... I wish I'd be able to keep my boat that long and that clean

I installed a bimini before on my sportster, and it really only has 2 locations to drill holes, the rest of the points are being held by the straps at the cleats (the rear straps and front straps), so really the middle of the boat where you drill the holes is only the middle holding point.

When I drilled the holes before, now in retrospect, I personally didnt feel it was necessary (this is my personal opinion), because If I hold the middle with industrial strength double sided adhesive, and strap the rear and front cleats to my bimini top open before, the middle holes are useless if your just lounging. I do understand that it would be an issue if Im going anywhere over 25 miles per hour. I regretted going fast with my bimini top open before, it was dumb of me speeding at 40mph with my bimini top open. I think it slowed down my boat, so.. after saying all that, I would bring down my bimini when im ready to go fast, and bring it up when im lounging and fishing...

All this of course is a moot point if I get the dealer to install it (for warranty purposes).

Oh and the last year I owned the sportster , I hardly put it up unless the sun was terrible...

Last edited by a moderator:
Those middle mounts which are bolted on, are what holds the bimini on the boat. The straps only purpose is to pull the front and rear bows tight. The oem sea doo bimini doesnt use straps on the rear. It uses another set of mounts and rear poles. This allows you to leave the bimini up and folded back. So it is ready to go, when you want to use it, just remove the boot, pull it open and clip the front straps. Trust me, it is very nice and you HAVE to bolt it down. Its easy to install though. The oem bimini is a much better quality too. It is more rounded on the top instead of flat like most cheap ones.

Here is a link to the cheapest one you will find. Also a pic of what mines looks like mounted with the rear poles. When folded down it also will fit under the poppy or oem cover.

Lastly, dont pay the dealer. You installing it wont void your warranty. Most dealers want over $600 for this exact same one. Plus labor. You are probably looking at 800 to 900. You can do it yourself for $420. Heck if i lived close by, id do it for free. It only takes about 20 minutes. The hardest part is assembling it and getting it ready to put on.

http://www.jmcamper.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=653

118.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WISH I KNEW ABOUT THAT WEBSITE A YEAR OR 2 AGO!!! I had the dealer order the OEM bimini & install right after I bought my boat. Got hosed by $240 evidently. :cuss:

Those middle mounts which are bolted on, are what holds the bimini on the boat. The straps only purpose is to pull the front and rear bows tight. The oem sea doo bimini doesnt use straps on the rear. It uses another set of mounts and rear poles. This allows you to leave the bimini up and folded back. So it is ready to go, when you want to use it, just remove the boot, pull it open and clip the front straps. Trust me, it is very nice and you HAVE to bolt it down. Its easy to install though. The oem bimini is a much better quality too. It is more rounded on the top instead of flat like most cheap ones.

Here is a link to the cheapest one you will find. Also a pic of what mines looks like mounted with the rear poles. When folded down it also will fit under the poppy or oem cover.

Lastly, dont pay the dealer. You installing it wont void your warranty. Most dealers want over $600 for this exact same one. Plus labor. You are probably looking at 800 to 900. You can do it yourself for $420. Heck if i lived close by, id do it for free. It only takes about 20 minutes. The hardest part is assembling it and getting it ready to put on.

http://www.jmcamper.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=653

118.jpg

Your Bimini does look awesome.. Sounds like the way to go, thanks for your offer :), your boat looks new, beautiful, but I think your contemplating buying a new one?

Ive owned it 4 years. So when I got it, it was 10 years old and only had 85 hours on it. I bet ive only put about 15 on it in the 4 years ive had it. And i am very anal about keeping it looking good. So yeah it looks new. Ive contemplated getting a new one, really just because id like something bigger. But this one is immacualte and paid for and after spending about 3 grand on mods, its exactly what I want. Soooo I will probably hold onto it a couple more years until my kids are bigger. I will need a bigger one by then. They are 2 and a half and 9 months old. Of course if anyone ever HAD to have mine, i could be encouraged to sell it. Money talks ya know.

Wow only 15 hours?, how does that work, 15 hours continous use? or what?, because I took my boat out 2 times, 4 hours each day, and it only says like 2.5 hours?? or less. (forgot).

Exactly, it only incurs hours while it is running. Ive taken my boat out about 10 times total in 4 years. Some days it ran maybe an hour, some days less. I have a buddy with BUDS software. I'll have it confirmed next time i see him, But i can almost guarantee im either under 100 hours total or just barely above it.

Thx, but it's a 2003 model and I made just a couple of changes. Last step is the surface. I have to fix some places with gel-coat but currently I'm more interesting to ride the Seadoo.
Don't worry to drill holes into the hull. I did a lot of them but I took care they are always very much above the water line. :thumbsup:
Twice I did drill them on the wrong place but I closed them first with epoxy and later I closed the surface with gel-coat. If you make it carefully it's hard to see the repair.
Fortunately when I bought the Speedster the previous owner made a service on the engine prior to the sale. So it runs just perfect with the small engine (~80 km/h).
Only bad thing is.........I've only the Rhein for driving fast, no nice lake.

BR
Ingo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back