TOPS Solenoid By-Pass

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsw1

Hi All,

I have a 2003 GTX 155 4TEC, I have installed a 2011 motor in it using all existing running gear, including the ECU and MEM.

The 2011 motor doesn't use the TOPS valve. All is good however to get the ECU to behave I have to leave the TOPS solenoid connected to the wiring harness in the engine bay else the ECU flags error and wont start.

My question is, does anyone know how to electrically bypass the TOPS solenoid? Ie: can I put a resister or blank of some type on the plug to trick the ECU into believing the TOPS solenoid is installed?

My backup plan is to remove the plunger / shaft from the solenoid, heat shrink the remaining solenoid with it still connected to the wiring loom to seal it off from fumes and then tie it away somewhere in the engine bay.

Thanks,
David

Yep. I have blocked my TOPS off in my boat. I believe I used like a 10k ohm resistor to block it. Maybe try measuring the resistance of the TOPS solenoid and go by that? I had a bunch of different resistors and found one that doesn't give error code :) It definitely CAN be done, I just don't recall the exact resistance value.

Thanks for the feedback. I did actually try this already and burnt out my resister. I used a potentiometer. I also did measure the solenoid as a starting point but I reckon the resistance under load will be somewhat different to when sitting on bench. I might try again with a variety of resistors.
Thanks
DW

Yea, I went through a couple before I found one that worked. I had a huge assortment of them from my Arduino hobby days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back