Top RPM ? In 1996 5817 GTS

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I’m wondering what the top end RPMs are supposed to be for the white 5817 engine on my GTS. I installed a tiny tach to help me set the idle, and now I can see the RPMs while I’m riding and I’m curious if 6,030 is a normal reading for wide open throttle on the water.

I can’t seem to find this specification in the shop manual (or I am overlooking it), but I did see to set the timing, you have to rev to 6000 rpm—so maybe that is the right max number? I see a higher number for rev limiter setting...but that’s not the right one, is it?

Thanks in advance.

I'll give it a shot.

There isn't a printed top rpm for these machines, I am not sure why to be honest. I know that in the sled world full shift rpm, "ideal" top rpm is always printed because it is vital for clutch tunning.

The shop manual shows a rev limiter setting of 6550 +-50 rpm's. Max rpm's are always higher than the rpm number they call for when setting the timing. Running rpm's at wide open is usually set to be within a couple hundred of the rev limiter setting. If you are below 6100 right now I would say you are safe, but my gut feeling says you should be a couple hundred higher.

There are many things that could be holding the rpm's a little low. But the first thing I would check on my machine is the trailing edges of the impeller. If they are bent forward, even slightly, then you will loose some top rpm's. Any damage to the trailing edge of the impeller from a rock getting trapped between the impeller and pump stator veins will bend some part of the edge forward. The smaller 580 motor is sensitive to bent impellers. I would pull the impeller out, inspect and tap the trailing edge smooth if it is bent forward then give the machine a run and see where the r's are at.

Thanks for the response. I’m planning to
Work on the jet pump this off-season so the impeller is on my list! It seems like the ski is going fast enough. Just thought it seemed like the number should be printed in the manual somewhere...and couldn’t find it to compare to mine! As always, appreciate your help.

It may be right on and I may be wrong. But give things a look over.

If everything in the pump looks good, you have good compression in both cylinders, you are getting full throttle (cable is adjusted properly) and your plug color is brown after running wide open for a while then it is what it is and you are good to go.

While you have the pump apart get any numbers you can off the impeller and take the time to see if it is the stock impeller , or stock impeller pitch.

I'd look at top speed along with RPM. I try to get book speed on all the skis I restore. I don't know if I ever made that happen but I get close sometimes. LOL Of course, I'm looking at GPS speed.

Where do you find the top speed in the book? I haven’t seen it in the service manual I found online. Also I don’t have a speedometer. Do you have a speedometer app on your phone? Or how do you know gps top speed? Thanks.

Looking at the speeds though... some are far fetched in my opinion. When I have a question I ask on the forum and always get help. Looking at the chart on your ski I would expect it to be slow (43 is the posted speed) . :) I had a 2003 GTI with a 717 that ran great (no tach of course) but only reached like 44 mph (it wasn't broken in all the way). Members gave me the scoop on it pretty quick. I was in the normal speed range.

Last edited:
Yeah I would actually think 40 mph top was great on mine!! It’s not fast but not really looking for super speed with that three seater! Thanks for pointing me to that website with the speed specs!

40 is not fast enough for me to feel safe around the gators. LOL Get out that GPS and see what you got for real. Might surprise you. If not, you can make some carb adjustments and see what happens. Speed is a good way to tell where you are performance wise. Tachs are great as they let you see what the engine is up to. :D Good Luck !!

Do you guys use some sort of a phone app or how do you check gps top speed? The gps speedometers I’ve found for sale are a little pricey for me considering I don’t really have a need for speed attitude with this one. There are cheap ones online too but don’t really seem waterproof or intended for watercraft use.

Or go get a simple Garmin etrex. I have mine clipped onto my life jacket half the time, it's already waterproof. If you have cell reception then the phone app sounds like the best solution.

I looked up the Etrex a while back but couldn't find the kinda deal you got. LOL I don't like using my phone.... too expensive to replace. Post a picture if yours... you got me shopping again.

Less than $200, a lot less on sale, waterproof, color screen. They have a touch screen version I'm not familiar with. Without the carabiener and using lithium batteries they are supposed to be able to float.

I always latch it to my life jacket and let it record the ride.

I like this one because it told me my 94 xp peaked at 53.6 for one second.

Attachments

• 20190923_154240.jpg
    20190923_154240.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back