Top end rebuild 1998 GTX rfi

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

httr4life

I bought 2 skis a couple weeks ago and had one on the lake and it was running amazing for about 45 minutes then stalled and won’t restart. Did a compression test, front cylinder 90psi and rear cylinder is at 120. I have been reading posts on here and realize the top end needs to be rebuilt. I was looking in the shop manual and the bore size is 82 mm with first oversize of 82.25, and no second oversize. Does this mean that the largest it can go is the 82.25? All the sites online to order parts only have .5 oversize kits for it. Thanks in advance for any insight as these are my first pwc and my kids are looking forward to getting on them this summer.

WSM sells pistons all the way up to 1.0mm over in 0.25mm increments.
You can't just buy pistons though, you need to have the machine shop doing the work measure your cylinders and see how much material needs to be cut to clean them up. They will tell you what size pistons to order.

Also you need to find what caused the low compression because if it is a fuel system issue you will ruin the new top end as soon as you take it out.

Thanks for the insight. As I said I just bought them soni have some testing to do. After reading in this forum I definitely want to remove the oil tank and run premixed fuel in them as well

You can't run premix in the RFI skis.

Absolutely no reason to get rid of the seadoo oil injection as they basically never fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back