Thinking about going from a speedster 150 to 200

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlove

I just picked up my first boat at the beginning of this season. A 2008 speedster 150 215hp. It has a supercharger failure and I have done a full rebuild on the engine and it has been dead reliable. I ended up doing and X charger and injectors when I had it torn apart and it rips. I absolutely love how nimble it is, can be thrown, jumped spun ect much like a PWC. The problem I am having is realizing it is a bit small for my needs not unusable, but my kids cant bring along any friends if I have my whole family out. This is why I am considering the 200. My question is how does the 200 compare in terms of handling and "playfulness"?

I've heard that the 200 is a little less nimble, but has the benefit of thrust from two jets which I think aids you in propulsion out fo the gate, in hard turns that would normally leave a single jet loosing suction; the 200s seem to be able to do vortext circles better than the 150. all that being said, the benefit of two pumps and better pwr to weight ration than the 150 with 4 passengers leads me to believe you'll be perfectly happy with it. Personally though, for you needs (and if you can afford/tow it), I'd suggest looking at a dual 215HP 210 Challenger/Wake. They have the sweet (looking) transat seats and you could do the power upgrade you did to your 150. You'll likely lose some agility moving up in size, but adding power, and upgrading impeller, pump etc, should help with that.

https://www.sea-doo.com/content/dam/seadoo/Global/MY2012/Documents/210_Challenger_SE_2012.pdf
https://www.sea-doo.ca/content/dam/seadoo/Global/MY2012/Documents/210_Wake_2012.pdf

Thanks for the reply. I ended up getting a 180 challenger for a really good deal. I am in the process of changing it over to a 255. As much as I want 2 motors as these boats age it not only gets twice as expensive but everything takes twice as much time to repair / rebuild.

It is definitely a step down but ultimately the wife won out as I already have a few other go fast toys. But all is not lost I still have the speedster 150 that i just put up for sale, but with the economy in the toilet i think i might get to enjoy it another year and I'm not to upset about that.

Have not had it out yet. Waiting for some good weather here in utah. Hopefully within the next week.

So I finally got the challenger out and its definitely not in the same category as the speedster 150. Even with a full 255hp conversion the speedster 215 stock was faster especially on the hole shot. The challenger is not a bad boat but its much more of a "traditional" boat. If you want decent acceleration out of these bigger boats I think dual motor is a must.

Yes, the 180 feels like twice the boat the 150 is. The larger the boat, the less like a PWC it will be. One challenge with the 180 is your asking a lot from just one pump. My guess is a single engine Challenger was designed as the bargain of product line whereas the 200 Speedster had been top of the line with twin engines in it’s day.

Has anybody driven both the 150 and the 200? The dual pump 200 has a superior power (and pump flow) to weight ratio than the 150; additionally I find propulsion weakens in hard turns where the centered pump in the 150 loses water depth. Considering the power to weight differences and offset pumps I'm curious how the 200 handles compared to the 150.

I love my 150, but it just doesn't have space for much cargo or comfortable seating for many passengers. If the 200 handles nearly as well as the 150 I might be seen upgrading to one at some point.

P.S. I read in a review of the 200 that while turning, increasing throttle of one of the pumps (outside?) improved slalom times.

I sold my 150 with the 215 speedster Saturday and I picked up a 200 with twin 155’s yesterday. It’s at the detailers now to try and get the white chalk off the sides but then I’m gonna go for a rip. I’ll let you know how nimble it is. However I’m thinking it be like doing donuts in a school bus, compared to doing them in a civic. And I’ve done donuts in both of those. Lol

Well the 200 is certainly sexier and way bigger than the 150. A more
Comfortable ride too. I’m thinking the speed is pretty much the same but the 150 with the 215 jumped up on plane where this 200 at 310 HP seems more like a conventional boat till it gets to plain. I ordered a naticus smart tab and I’m going to install it right between the jets and see what happens after that. The 150 is a toy. The 200 is a boat!

Well the 200 is certainly sexier and way bigger than the 150. A more
Comfortable ride too. I’m thinking the speed is pretty much the same but the 150 with the 215 jumped up on plane where this 200 at 310 HP seems more like a conventional boat till it gets to plain. I ordered a naticus smart tab and I’m going to install it right between the jets and see what happens after that. The 150 is a toy. The 200 is a boat!

Suds4ever - what model number of the smart tab did you buy? You are only installing one in the middle? Is that because 2 won’t fit back there? Just wondering because I have the same boat and I’m looking at the tabs myself. And I have also read in a few other places where owners of the same boat only installed one in the middle. Just curious can you advise?

Naticus has excellent customer service and the guy recommended the SXH9510-80 - 9.5"x10" Plate / 80lb. Actuator -Half Set × 1.

Yes. Twin 155’s qnd the tech told me that to mount in each side was a lot of McGuvering to make them fit. So he recommended I put one right in the middle. However I was looking and in the middle is my drain plug and speedo so I will let you know how it turns out once I finally get it in.

Yes. Twin 155’s qnd the tech told me that to mount in each side was a lot of McGuvering to make them fit. So he recommended I put one right in the middle. However I was looking and in the middle is my drain plug and speedo so I will let you know how it turns out once I finally get it in.

Thanks for the info — I’ll pass it on to their rep. Will also look at what I might have to deal with on the back of mine. Looking forward to see how it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back