The X4 Thread

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh.. what's the primary difference between them? They look very similar. A lot of the same parts, from what I could see.

When you get down to brass tacks there are a bunch of one year only parts.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Set back pump and hump seat on 95. 1996 was peak year of PWC sales at nearly 200k units vs 30k now The 96 xp represents the highest number of one model of boat ever built . Likely numbers were in the 50k built. I bought one new!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Stunnerable, I have thought about hydro turf but right now I don't see it being a necessity.. I am sure they are nice but the factory ones I am ok with for now.

Dude, you don't want to do any serious wave jumping with oem mats, I've slipped and almost put my knee through the hull once. Split the skin even. I'd def. recommend mats.

I agree! I take it a step further and always wear very grippy shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ya, I agree, I always want very sticky/grippy mats if i'm doing anything other than a quiet cruise around a lake. Stock mats are not designed with getting air in mind.

I bought a pair of water shoes from Walmart for $5. Worked great.. And they float, easy to pick out if tubing and they fly off.

The soles on those rubber shoes always go to hell after like the 2nd time I wear them. Anyone know a good brand where that doesn't happen?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I've got a pair of teva rubber sole dive booties that I like

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Ah, should have known I'd have to shell out some dough to get decent ones. As soon as I hear teva, I think $$$

That's it? I probably spent that in crappy Walmart shoes over the years that fell apart

The good thing about the dive booties is you can swim in them if you fall off

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Dude, you don't want to do any serious wave jumping with oem mats, I've slipped and almost put my knee through the hull once. Split the skin even. I'd def. recommend mats.

Ok you guys are right I didn't really think about that as much. I will be looking into them.
I have also worn vibram five fingers while riding they seem to work pretty good, you can swim in them just fine.

Over the last week or so I've managed to read through this entire thread and gained some excellent knowledge in general.

Thought about getting a PWC a couple years ago and off and on since then but never ended up pursuing it too much, however lately Ive been looking pretty hard and just havent found the right deal yet. Still looking for a real clean strong running X4 (or two, my buddy wants one as well now), theres been some on craigslist recently Ive been watching but havent been able to make a deal yet. This will be my first PWC or watercraft at all for that matter and without even riding one I can tell this is what I want (an X4 with 787), just have to find the right deal so wish me luck lol.

Im going to try to get a test drive on a pair of clean looking 98 SPXs here in the next couple days and have a pair of 96 XPs also on the radar if the SPXs dont go through.

Edit: Called and the 98s were sold already. Called on the 96s twice and got no answer left voice mail. Got a call back today (next day) on the 96s going to check them out on Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you have it figured out before you even get started. I imagine it would be pretty easy to find clean ones out there and your test drive will show you if they are strong running or not.

Holy crap I got blasted on my text messages! Lol.. some of you guys got beat by as little 18 mins to parts.. Bear with me on getting parts shipped out ( 3 days max) , We are a retail stereo shop and will provide tracking. Thanks guys for funding project XPL 4tec, gotta love a fire sale! :)
301.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Where can I see more of this???

I got two 96s that are in ok shape cosmetically a little work here and there to clean them up will help, hulls have some wear and scratching on bottom, one ran strong during quick test drive and one did not it was a little harder to start had to give it choke and throttle to start and was a little rough at idle and when hit the gas to accelerate even partial throttle it sputters and bogs (was going to run compression test on that one but forgot in my haste, doh, so will test that tomorrow probably). Im thinking and hoping carbs are the issue on that one but time will tell Im sure. I think the VTS needs fixed on both. Both had the factory grey Tempo fuel lines already replaced from the looks of it when I took a peak under the seats, one had all black hoses, one had mostly black hoses and some short lengths of grey at the carbs but was some other brand than Tempo (might replace anyway). The one that runs good has R&D trim tabs and ride plate, one that doesnt run good has beach house sponsons. She was some older lady that was selling them said she never really rides them cuz they scare her and she cant/wont back a trailer in herself. She gave me receipts for $1160 in shop parts/labor at Parker Yamaha last year, on the strong running one, mostly gaskets and o rings, some other stuff like carbon ring, bellows, exhaust water leak fixed, new wear ring, etc. Both have Jettrim seat covers (Im local to Jet trim in Havasu, these were 40 miles away in Parker) and both have Jettrim mats. Gas gauge doesnt work on one probably fuel sender magnet issue, hopefully.

Im sure I will be asking for some help soon enough with these, especially the one that needs work, haha. The one that runs strong was pretty fast actually it ripped pretty good put a smile on my face, only rode for like 5 minutes though and didnt get to take any crazy fast turns on it or anything just motored around some and opened her up a few times.

They have no factory graffics on them other than the XP hood sticker on one of the two. Thats ok cuz I was going for a different look and planning to strip the factory stickers off anyway and now I can buff the hulls easily too since that parts already done for me.

Ill put up pics tomorrow too. She was saying they were only 4 gallon gas tanks but then she thought they were 805cc when I was calling them 787s so who knows. Never heard of putting in a smaller tank in these Ill put pics of those too and you guys can tell me if they are factory or not.

edit: The tanks look like factory 9 gal to me. Tested compression on the one that isnt running right, 150 psi mag cyl, 147psi pto cyl, possible leak on the water valve on the waterbox (lots of dried water spots on the waterbox around the valve area), mag rave valve leaking some oil. Going to take off and clean raves and order some mikuni rebuild kits for the carbs and look into the water leak at the waterbox.

Pics

87.jpg

88.jpg

Probably will start a new thread on these soon as to not clutter this one up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back