The X4 Thread

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a really nice 96 XP for my wife and she hardly ever rides it. That being said I don't know that she would ride a different model ski any more anyway.

My friend's wife rides a stand up so go figure.

Alright, so I have my trailer and it looks like I'll be checking out the 95 xp either today or tomorrow. The seller said he's good for a compression test, water ride, and even pulling the head to see pistons/internals. Gotta think/hope that's a good sign that it's all good. He even said he'd drop the price to $800 for the ski.

So it seems that they ideally are around 140 psi compression, give or take, and within 10% of each other. I know to look for general condition/corrosion/etc. I'll look for water in the engine compartment after the ride. I'll check out the impeller (not that I'd notice anything unless it's badly damaged).

Any model specific items to keep an eye out for?

Actually "ideally" you want the compression to be close for both cylinders. I've seen so many variances between different compression testers but 99% of the time if the readout is close it means it's good. If you have one showing 140 and the other showing 95, you have a problem.

*Edit
Oh and this is starting to sound like a very respectable deal man. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
900 for a running ski.. damn. Everything here is 1500min, heck non running 96 gtx are 1500 up here..
Good luck man, hope it works out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

If you have never ridden before, the 95 XP will be very fun. My first one was a 95 SPX that I bought 3 years ago, and I had to chisel the smile off my face the first time I took it out. :) That fall, I found a great deal on my 96 XP, in Ohio. Once I finshed destroying the engine by dropping a bolt into it, and replacing the engine last summer, it is my main ride.

I took the SPX out last weekend for the first time in almost a year, and it is the one of the two that starts everytime, day or night, rain or shine. It has never let me down, and to me, it is more stable. But, that could be because it is not as fast. It is very fun to ride, whereas my XP is more of a handful. I always describe them as the SPX is like a nice, stable horse, where the XP is like a wild mustang, fun and a bit on the edge of control. lol

if you are looking for fun, either will do, but if you are looking for speed and FUN, a 96 XP would be the one.

Have fun either way though!!

Alright, so I have my trailer and it looks like I'll be checking out the 95 xp either today or tomorrow. The seller said he's good for a compression test, water ride, and even pulling the head to see pistons/internals. Gotta think/hope that's a good sign that it's all good. He even said he'd drop the price to $800 for the ski.

So it seems that they ideally are around 140 psi compression, give or take, and within 10% of each other. I know to look for general condition/corrosion/etc. I'll look for water in the engine compartment after the ride. I'll check out the impeller (not that I'd notice anything unless it's badly damaged).

Any model specific items to keep an eye out for?

End up getting the 95 XP?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I feel like I'm noobing up this thread so I apologize for that. I think I'm about to get everything I need to make an informed decision and then maybe I can be a normal member.

So, the price is indeed firm. I have found another Seadoo (GTI) that I think is a 1996. It is the same price. So both are $900. The good news is that I've found a trailer to buy for $150. So my grand total will be $1050 on either ski that I choose.

The question I have is: Are trailers "one size fits all" or is it possible the GTI would be too big for a smaller trailer? I assume that if the trailer was meant for a larger ski, the smaller would still be ok. Thoughts?

A 95 will have no mirrors on the hood or center storage.

Any 2 stroke will fit on that trailer. Don't get the gti, slow and boring....it's a cruiser meant to carry multiple people.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ehhhh watch it
:ban:
That's [MENTION=31048]LouDoo[/MENTION] buick your talking about.
I had two of them and they were perfect for the wife and kid while I was on the XP with other son.
Got the 2nd one as project and rode it when I didn't want a take a beating or longer ride.

:) Yea. This is a dilemma for me. My girlfriend (who will eventually be my wife) isn't exactly the strongest/agile so I worry that she won't be able to climb back up an XP if/when she wrecks.

So, I'm still leaning towards the XP, but for her, the GTI would probably be better
. And, I would still have fun on it even if not as much. Maybe the XP isn't so hard to climb back on? Or could I rig up some sort of rope ladder on the back so she could get on easier? (reeled up during riding obviously)

Nothing wrong with that.
But no boading step for XP.

Ya, I wouldn't get the 96 gti, it's the older body style. Though noticeably faster than the 97, it had less storage, was more prone to get water into the front bin, and had less padding in the seat. The 97 gti was overall better, but it did gain 100 lbs. This helped it on the ocean some, as did the increased fuel capacity.

Its the 95. Like your older GTS.
Absolutely!

Slow and boring will be relative.

I cannot speak to power of gti, but the even larger gtx with 787 is quite fun, specially for new rider. Not as nimble by any means but for a new rider or if he plans to have passengers a larger ski could be beneficial starting out. Dad's gtx has no problem getting airborne and handles choppy water with ease, water the xp would be bouncing like mad in. I would love a xp myself but do not think a bigger ski is boring or without benefit as a first ski...

OP, GO RIDE BOTH! If water is flat then cut back on your own wake to see how they both handle chop so you can decide wich you prefer..

Thank You! Best Adivce

This happened anytime you lifted the hood to put something inside and weren't dead stopped. Not so much when you're just riding around.

Or face away from the wave......

Eh, the older hull was plenty stable, probably even more than the new one because it was lighter and lower to the water. But I didn't like the angle that it forced your knees into, being 6'1". A friend let me borrow his gti with the 720 and I was shocked by how fast it was, as I was used to a 587 pushing that hull. I still wouldn't trade it for my 97 as it looks and rides way better.

Was that me when you came to Miami?

OP congratulations on new ski. I had the 95 717 XP and I promise you you'll be nice and sore the next day after a day of hard riding and jumping.

OK, I feel like I'm noobing up this thread so I apologize for that. I think I'm about to get everything I need to make an informed decision and then maybe I can be a normal member.

So, the price is indeed firm. I have found another Seadoo (GTI) that I think is a 1996. It is the same price. So both are $900. The good news is that I've found a trailer to buy for $150. So my grand total will be $1050 on either ski that I choose.

The question I have is: Are trailers "one size fits all" or is it possible the GTI would be too big for a smaller trailer? I assume that if the trailer was meant for a larger ski, the smaller would still be ok. Thoughts?

A 95 will have no mirrors on the hood or center storage.

Any 2 stroke will fit on that trailer. Don't get the gti, slow and boring....it's a cruiser meant to carry multiple people.

Ehhhh watch it
:ban:
That's @LouDoo buick your talking about.
I had two of them and they were perfect for the wife and kid while I was on the XP with other son.
Got the 2nd one as project and rode it when I didn't want a take a beating or longer ride.

:) Yea. This is a dilemma for me. My girlfriend (who will eventually be my wife) isn't exactly the strongest/agile so I worry that she won't be able to climb back up an XP if/when she wrecks.

So, I'm still leaning towards the XP, but for her, the GTI would probably be better
. And, I would still have fun on it even if not as much. Maybe the XP isn't so hard to climb back on? Or could I rig up some sort of rope ladder on the back so she could get on easier? (reeled up during riding obviously)

Nothing wrong with that.
But no boading step for XP.

Ya, I wouldn't get the 96 gti, it's the older body style. Though noticeably faster than the 97, it had less storage, was more prone to get water into the front bin, and had less padding in the seat. The 97 gti was overall better, but it did gain 100 lbs. This helped it on the ocean some, as did the increased fuel capacity.

Its the 95. Like your older GTS.
Absolutely!

Slow and boring will be relative.

I cannot speak to power of gti, but the even larger gtx with 787 is quite fun, specially for new rider. Not as nimble by any means but for a new rider or if he plans to have passengers a larger ski could be beneficial starting out. Dad's gtx has no problem getting airborne and handles choppy water with ease, water the xp would be bouncing like mad in. I would love a xp myself but do not think a bigger ski is boring or without benefit as a first ski...

OP, GO RIDE BOTH! If water is flat then cut back on your own wake to see how they both handle chop so you can decide wich you prefer..

Thank You! Best Adivce

This happened anytime you lifted the hood to put something inside and weren't dead stopped. Not so much when you're just riding around.

Or face away from the wave......

Eh, the older hull was plenty stable, probably even more than the new one because it was lighter and lower to the water. But I didn't like the angle that it forced your knees into, being 6'1". A friend let me borrow his gti with the 720 and I was shocked by how fast it was, as I was used to a 587 pushing that hull. I still wouldn't trade it for my 97 as it looks and rides way better.

Was that me when you came to Miami?

I had the 95 717 XP and I promise you you'll be nice and sore the next day after a day of hard riding and jumping.

my 97 spx from back in my racing days. 2004 novice 800 superstock national champ. not the cleanest, but it worked well on the track - did very well in 2005 & 2006 with it. a typical 951x4 was just about as fast, but ran on 91 octane vs the 112 race fuel I had to use.

10150650_10202813793644931_5465094662233587724_n.jpg

Your SPX looks great man!

Another big difference between a superstock 787 and a 951 conversion is power delivery. I remember those superstock motors having light switch power delivery. Made them pretty exciting to ride though!

Thanks, I miss that ski. Now I have a rxx. Trying to relive the glory days, but my back isn't getting the message.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ooh! RXX's are a tough beast to tame. I've never been so worn out on a ski before after a few laps of a closed course.

my 97 spx from back in my racing days. 2004 novice 800 superstock national champ. not the cleanest, but it worked well on the track - did very well in 2005 & 2006 with it. a typical 951x4 was just about as fast, but ran on 91 octane vs the 112 race fuel I had to use.

View attachment 31959
"America is about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Beautiful ski man

End up getting the 95 XP?

I did. Compression was a little low on his gauge. I think I may buy my own and double check. They were pretty much exactly the same on both cylinders though. It's not the prettiest, had some sun fade, a crack in the seat, but I didn't expect a beauty queen. In my area, I simply would have had to pay a fair amount for a pretty one with a rebuilt engine.

I took it on the water and it ran fine. I don't have enough experience to know if it was slow or fast compared to other XPs, but it ran smooth with no weird sounds so I hope all is well. The one downside is that it did have just a little water in the engine compartment after about 15 minutes on the water. Not sure if that's normal, but I'll need to see if I can figure that out.

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I'm hoping to have a lot of fun on this thing!

Hey guys I know this not classified, but seems like best place for X4 geeks like me ... dumping my little x4 limited as parts.. sad to see a hard running low hr rec boat parted out .. pm with anything you need..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back