The X4 Thread

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I found a deal on a new skat trak 16.5/22 impeller. Its a swirl style for about $120. Would that be good for a mild build? Looking for lots of punch down low/mid and excellent hook up in mild to rough chop.

Hey I found a deal on a new skat trak 16.5/22 impeller. Its a swirl style for about $120. Would that be good for a mild build? Looking for lots of punch down low/mid and excellent hook up in mild to rough chop.
It should be good, I find grates to be more effective than an impeller, but every tuner has their own ways of thinking and processes lol. But yes throw that impeller in there and a good grate and you should be good. Another option is to get a rfi big hub pump lol.

How bad is it if you let it hit the stutter box when you're in the air?
It's not that good for it. It's not so much hitting the Rev limiter as it it the drastic and sudden changes of unloading the pump at wot. If there is anything weak in the motor and its working to push 6800 rpm then it suddenly free revs, things could easily fly apart. Same for if you reenter the water at wot. The sudden load can break stuff. It's one of those better safe than sorry kinda things, it has been known to happen, and you don't wanna be the guy it happens to.

Pretty sure that happened to me last summer. Snapped a connecting rod while jumping on level water. It was loading and unloading at wot... wsm rods just can't handle that I guess.

So I was selecting some jugs to get bored for my new build, and I found an old one I pulled out of my 95xp 800. This sucker is bored to like 84mm. It's massive and the sleeve is super thin. I'm wondering where you would even find pistons for that oversize. What's the biggest piston you can put into a 787?

It should be good, I find grates to be more effective than an impeller, but every tuner has their own ways of thinking and processes lol. But yes throw that impeller in there and a good grate and you should be good. Another option is to get a rfi big hub pump lol.

do you think I would see any performance increase from the impeller alone?

So I was selecting some jugs to get bored for my new build, and I found an old one I pulled out of my 95xp 800. This sucker is bored to like 84mm. It's massive and the sleeve is super thin. I'm wondering where you would even find pistons for that oversize. What's the biggest piston you can put into a 787?

I think 1.5mm is the max piston you can buy that is FOR a 787.

I think 1.5mm is the max piston you can buy that is FOR a 787.

I'm pretty sure this thing is bigger than that. I'm going to see if I can't find that piston and get any numbers off it. I'm telling you, it's massive. It died from Rave failure. seemed like half the rave just fell down into the motor and caused sudden death. It still wasn't as bad as my crank failure. That ruined just about everything in the engine.

Hey so I was browsing some google pages and I saw a post on another forum where they used a Fly racing motorcycle kill switch as a starter switch. Could this work on our skis? Its a beautiful piece of work and would sure be better than the ugly plastic thing I now have on my aftermarket bars! I plan on losing the VTS for a drop nozzle in the future anyway so this would finish it off nicely!

Our start/kill is basically just a momentary switch right?

I got a buffer as a gift recently Suke, going to try to buff my SPX out like you did your XP. Can you buff with stickers still on? Is 3m fiberglass compound the stuff to use?

I got a buffer as a gift recently Suke, going to try to buff my SPX out like you did your XP. Can you buff with stickers still on? Is 3m fiberglass compound the stuff to use?

Nice what did you get? Rotary or orbital? What 3m compound are you talking about? I used 3m heavy cut followed by finesse it II. You can definitely do it with graphics on, just avoid the graphics. Or better yet tape them off if you're not confident you can avoid them. Most buffers use pretty large pads and make it tough to avoid the graphics.

It's an orbital. I have a random orbit one too, but like you said before, it just doesn't have the power. I think I will tape the decals. I really hope I can get that shine back. Strangely, my SPX looks like it once had clear coat. There are shiny little patches at the border between the shiny and mat sections. I am super curious as to how this will turn out. BTW, all the 3m compounds I'm finding are "Super Duty", that right?

It's an orbital. I have a random orbit one too, but like you said before, it just doesn't have the power. I think I will tape the decals. I really hope I can get that shine back. Strangely, my SPX looks like it once had clear coat. There are shiny little patches at the border between the shiny and mat sections. I am super curious as to how this will turn out. BTW, all the 3m compounds I'm finding are "Super Duty", that right?

Ahhhh looks like they changed up the name, so yup that's right. This is what I used for the first stage:
http://www.***********/3M-05954-Sup...2731190&sr=8-2&keywords=3m+heavy+cut+compound
61-QT9UKytL._SL1500_.jpg
and second and final step:
http://www.***********/3M-05928-Fin...d=1432731266&sr=8-3&keywords=3m+finesse+it+II
61ODmuttt6L._SL1500_.jpg
I bought a cheapie rotary from harbor freight to deal specifically with boats/skis. I have a forced rotation orbital that has a crap ton of power, and gel coat still fought me. Wet sanding seems to be the key on these things to help speed that work up. Rotary, however, cut my time in half on skis. Even the big barge 4tec skis.

WTF? Can't even post links to amazon? That's not even a competitor. That's lame. Lemme get some pics of it then and link it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look and follow jetski goodies's thread, it yields much better results than the 3m stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back