The history and current state of modification of my 787 DI 3D

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

1MACGYVER

It all started about 4 months ago when my neighbour found an ad for a 3D in a disassembled state on a local trading website. I went down to have a look, it looked great except for the amateur engine disassembly as the previous owner had tried to replace engine mounts and a bent drive shaft and when putting the engine back in swapped the oil tank return and cooling water off the head and filled the lot with salt water.

Turned out to be a lot more damage than first thought and after a few lies from the previous owner, 2 mates and myself paid a bit too much for it. Plus i went though hell getting missing parts from him as well as buying parts on ebay or from the dealer but thats all in the past.
dsc02102x.jpg

dsc02106t.jpg

dsc02107k.jpg

In the last year a Seadoo dealership opened up 5min from my house. Initially i thought i would get it rebuilt by a small workshop to save money or even send all the engine parts to the other side of the country to get built.

After talking to the head mechanic at Seadoo i was extremely impressed, he knew his stuff and seemed like the way to go. The next day we dropped off the engine to start the build and soon after the ski. Im so glad we went this way, it all got done properly, with a guarantee, and he saved us sooo much money on parts and labour.
dsc02163i.jpg

On a positive note it already had the upgraded Solas prop which was one of the 1st things on the list to mod.
dsc02164i.jpg

Some of the big dollars int he rebuild was thigs like a new crank, new rotary drive shaft and pretty much everything but the block, cylinders and head.
dsc02165bu.jpg

dsc02195g.jpg

As the engine went back in.
dsc02191h.jpg

When removing a brass fitting the aluminium plug in the exhaust was corroded and broke apart so we had it re welded. At the first water test another blew out so the pipe came out again and had all of the other plugs diground out and rewelded.
dsc02193m.jpg

The next major issue was the aluminium plug that sits at the rear of the rotary shaft in the block corroded out and had a massive oil leak, the engine came back out and had a new compression plug machined and fitted.

Soon after we were in the water and started the run-in
dsc02194ti.jpg

The next to go wrong was the fuel gauge stopped working so ebay from the states i got a brand new one. This is the broken part. We did also put injector cleaner through a few tanks to fix the misfiring issue.
dsc02236gs.jpg

My biggest flaw is im a compulsive modifier. The first thing i wanted to change was the exhaust. initially i planned to do a rear exhaust and remove the resonators. after talking to a lot of people and reading a lot on forums i just removed the resonators and used a piece of stainless pipe and the standard rubber hoses (cut to suit) and the standard outlet.

All the removed parts

About this time the starter solenoid failed so a new one off ebay went in. The rectifier also went but instead of an OEM part i found one locally, chopped the plug off, soldered and sealed it with glue-heatshrink. With a custom stainless bracket it mounted on the factory location.

Next was fixing the leaning issue by relocating the battery and installing a tap to prevent water ingestion if towing. I made a bracket from aluminium and utilised the standard rubber strap from the resonator. It turned out cheeper to buy 400A jumper leads, chop link and lug them to extend the cables to the rear left corner than to buy 2m of black and red cable.
dsc02282fu.jpg

dsc02285v.jpg

dsc02286n.jpg

The spray off the nose especially in the wind was irritating so on went a splash guard.
dsc02299u.jpg

As we already had the prop upgrade and id done the exhaust i really wanted to do the intake grate. I searched everywhere for info on what grate would fit without much luck, in the end i took a gamble and bought an R&D 97 XP grate which was perfect. (the 97 R&D is different to the 98-04XP by R&D???) I also flushed all of the bolt holes and seams with sika-flex. Well worth the money, makes a big difference- i highly recommend it.
dsc02354d.jpg

We had noticed the standard matting was a little slippery as well as the 3D logo so i ordered HydroTurf again through ebay. After peeling off the old and cleaning it for hours (and many beers) we masked up, traced and trimmed to 3mm inside the finished turf line. We glued both surfaces and removed the tape, when tacky stuck it down. The end result is amazing, looks factory- better than i thought it would be.
dsc02349p.jpg

dsc02350v.jpg

dsc02352m.jpg

We have spend so many hours and dollars fixing up the ski and trailer, licensing, cleaning etc but we have ended up with an immaculate ski and set up. Ive gone mad on ebay buying PFD's sand anchors, tow straps, and lately a 1080p HD helmet cam which is sensational (cable tied to an old skating helmet i had in the shed).
dsc02310i.jpg

The end for now... until i think of something else to modify.
jetski.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work.. It was all worth it in the end. I am going to sticky this for a bit so others can have some inspiration.

Great post! Love all the pics and write ups ... funny how working on boats/pwc requires fuel for manual labour ... BEER!!

I'd love to hear how that sounds with the resonators taken out!

ill video it on the trailer and post it. Not much louder at idle sitting in the water, little louder at WOT but it sounds great just as you pull a wake. ill also look through the helmet cam vids and see if i can get some action sound.
Blood, Sweat and Coronas have gone into this ski

This is it sitting on the trailer, a bit smokie because i fogged it pretty heavily yesterday after flushing
[video=youtube;gUtcupiQqwo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUtcupiQqwo[/video]

This is off the helmet cam, not me but ive been swimming heaps of times after high speed turns. This is even on the kart seat which is the most stable. Not the best sound ever because i put electrical tape over the mic to cut the wind noise.
[video=youtube;I4Q0LtfrkHE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Q0LtfrkHE[/video]

Ive been trying to find a place to buy a set of rails with rollers to replace the carpeted rails. In the end i bought wobble rollers and did some electrical work for a steel fabricator as a trade for the steel and welding. Turns out someone offered me some second hand ones the day after i bought all off the parts.
dsc02378a.jpg

I painted it with cold-galv and spent a lot of time setting the width, height and angle of the rails. The plan was to test it out and if it all worked, hot dip galv them. We went with some extra holes so that at any time i can shift the rails back or forward.
dsc02379k.jpg

I just took the ski down to the river and it was so easy to load unload, couldnt have been better.
dsc02380o.jpg

Here it is all galvinised, came up great, i got all of the brackets done and got all new galv nuts and bolts
dsc02388av.jpg

A couple of weeks back the front bumper tore one rivet out and tight turning and then came off and sank in the river.
I figured that the same replacement part would fit through the same holes and not fix very well.
I got a bumper off an RXP which has a better looking pointy shape and also a hard plastic sub structure.

It took a bit of cutting and shaping the bottom edge to make it fit the splash guard but worth the effort. I drilled new holes through the hull edge and got 6mm stainless button head bolts, then washers and nylock nuts on the back side so i never have to do this again.

In the middle it bulges up a little bit as its intended for a wider nose ski but otherwise perfection.

dsc02390zt.jpg

My ski has had a misfire and every now and then ran on one cylinder- even with new plugs, I read 'MYChina's thread on the coil pack tracking to the metal bracket:
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthre...limp-mode-problem-solved.&p=214632#post214632
I was hoping this was my problem but as it turns out my coil pack looks quite different

Ive always suspected my injectors needed a clean- injector cleaning fuel additive mostly fixed it but never completely.
For $44 each i had them cleaned, filters changed and flow tested (new injectors here are around $200 each)

Fixed all of my problems- no more running on one cylinder, revs really smoothly, revs higher.
I just took it out for the first run of the season with brand new plugs, its never run so well =) =) =)

very nice i just purchased a 05 3D which is my very first PWC after seeing your topic just got me alll that more excited to get mine going

Solas impeller

... On a positive note it already had the upgraded Solas prop which was one of the 1st things on the list to mod. ...

Which solas is that? DynaFly, Concord, Xprop? Would you change it up now given a chance?

My thanks in advance,

Hi, sorry for the late reply.
I sold the 3D years ago, from memory it was the Concordin the pitch spec up form stock in the Solas book.
I hope that helps

Back