Supercharger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Kemp

So I bought a used 2005 seadoo rxt with 90 hours on it. It will only run 42MPH. Could it be due to the super charger never being rebuilt? Should I rebuild the supercharger or buy the riva supercharger for 399. It wont let me post the link in here for some reason.

Also I am wanting to do an exhaust to it. Should I do the thru hull exhaust or free flow which only cost 25 if that much? Also are there a relatively cheap cold air intake for it?

A rebuild on your SC will keep it from exploding and causing all sorts of damage to the engine. But it will not get you from 42 to 65+. Cold air intake and exhaust upgrades are for high performance machines, typically for racing applications, where you're trying to squeeze out an extra mile or two per hour in a race.

Where most people lose top end speed is in the impeller. Wear rings that have any gaps between the plastic wear ring and the impeller blades will cause your ski to not reach top end speed. Fuel management can do it too. A clogged fuel filter. Water in the gas. Air filter.

You can spend your money on things like stainless steel wear rings, cold air intake, exhaust upgrades. But the machine was designed to run 67 mph with stock parts. You're not going to get it over 70 without some serious engineering. In my humble opinion, non of that is needed for a fun day on the lake.

My biggest concern is that the ski will only run 42mph, unless the gauge is jacked up. My other concern is the ski is 14years old and the supercharger has been been rebuilt or replaced. Could that be part of the issue? The impeller and wear ring were replaced in april of this year.

I think you meant to say it has not been replaced or rebuilt. If that is the case it would certainly help your performance to send it to PWC Muscle and have them rebuild it. They are the supercharger experts. If your ski turns out to be junk the supercharger could be sold to recoup any rebuild costs.

I did mean to out has not been rebuilt or replaced lol. I'm going to check the sc and ensure the hose is tight, put new plugs in test, new coils test, new injectors test and then sc. But if the sc has any issues rebuild it. Are superchargers hard to remove?

Update

Tonight I took the hose off the supercharger, I am able to spin the supercharger extremely easy. A shop owner told me it should not be that easy to spin it.

Shop owner is correct, there are clutch washers in the supercharger that are either worn or broken, you need to remove your supercharger and check it’s condition for missing or worn washers. Hopefully there still there.

What happens if they aren't there? Do I have any worries about possible engine issues? What if the washers are missing?

What happens if they aren't there? Do I have any worries about possible engine issues? What if the washers are missing?
Yep, the engine should come out to disassemble if the washers are missing, which they likely are if it spins easy. Good luck.

loosen the nut and push the stud down to open up the clamp, wiggle and it should come off.

So a seadoo mechanic roughly 45miles away took a look at my ski. Compression is 145 across the board. 1 washer is intact. New plugs, rebuilt supercharger, new shock for front compartment, replace clamps on intake grate 740 out the door. Local seadoo dealer said $1,500 to remove supercharger rebuild and put back on. I asked if they were high!

pwcmuscle is awesome- they did my sc in about a 7 day turnaround for under $400.
didn't see it listed, but when my sc blew, i had metal in my oil filter- my motor needed a rebuild- 125 in 2 cylinders, 115 in the 3rd. not a fun bill to pay!

He said 1 was intact and the other wasn't. He said the ceramic washer turns to powder. I asked about testing it apart and he said it didnt need to he torn apart just change the oil and filter.

pwcmuscle is awesome- they did my sc in about a 7 day turnaround for under $400.
didn't see it listed, but when my sc blew, i had metal in my oil filter- my motor needed a rebuild- 125 in 2 cylinders, 115 in the 3rd. not a fun bill to pay!
Whats the promo code for that discount? It's $435 on the website.

Your seadoo mechanic is wrong. It doesn't turn to powder. It remains as chunks and shards that continually get pumped through your oil system and won't get picked up by the oil filter. It will ruin your motor in time. Rebuild several every year like this and scores the crank and head. Some last a little longer while others don't last long at all. Do your research, then ask your seadoo mechanic about it.

Metal in the oil filter is normal. This is from the bendix getting slammed into the flywheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back