Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Cmills1115

I bought a really clean 04 RXP with only 109 hours. The person I bought it from told me the supercharger was rebuilt at 80 hours. Oil looked clean and it seemed he kept up with all maintenance and was stored in his basement after being winterized every year. I was wondering if I should go ahead and have the supercharger rebuilt or take him at his word. I took it out on the water and it ran perfectly. Got a top speed of 66 with two people on it and rpm’s were all where they needed to be. Would I be okay running it the rest of the season before rebuild?

The question is when was it rebuilt ? 29 hours is okay , but there is also a limited amount of time which is 2 years because of the plastic cage inside the bearing gets brittle , however it's a recommendation and you probably can stretch that out a bit.

I was told it was 3 years ago. If a supercharger starts failing will there be symptoms before it completely ruins the motor? Or will it just be fine one second then completely shot the next? Again, this is all going off his word too, so it is possible that it was never even rebuilt so I plan on having it rebuilt after this season regardless. I just want to make it through this season first and am trying to figure out how much of a risk I am taking by doing that.

No symptoms , just kaboom and utter sadness at the thought of the repair cost. The supercharger design has to be the greatest BRP failure in history , great power when it's working but a huge cost to update and even a larger cost if it fails. You could run it and be okay , the newer bearings are much better than the previous version.

I can normally tell if the supercharger has been rebuilt by just looking at the clamp position and direction and by looking at the sealant used on the superchargers. The factory has a very consistent look and not many people other than myself will return it to exactly that look. Take some pictures of the sc and post them here. I'll give you my opinion if it has ever been rebuilt.

In general, I wouldn't believe anyone and there is too much risk to not change it especially with a ski that had ceramic washers.

I can normally tell if the supercharger has been rebuilt by just looking at the clamp position and direction and by looking at the sealant used on the superchargers. The factory has a very consistent look and not many people other than myself will return it to exactly that look. Take some pictures of the sc and post them here. I'll give you my opinion if it has ever been rebuilt.

In general, I wouldn't believe anyone and there is too much risk to not change it especially with a ski that had ceramic washers.
This would be much appreciated. I’ll get you some pictures tomorrow. Would sure feel a lot better knowing it has been rebuilt before.

Attachments

• 8C263F6F-F022-47E0-9355-7516B7A5984F.jpeg
    8C263F6F-F022-47E0-9355-7516B7A5984F.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 436A40E5-5561-4DB2-AF21-6A1A05E35256.jpeg
    436A40E5-5561-4DB2-AF21-6A1A05E35256.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 2B96412C-8240-43CC-B3B2-7C6904E79EED.jpeg
    2B96412C-8240-43CC-B3B2-7C6904E79EED.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 27
  • B6A3B381-0120-4C0F-81D7-01C592776DB2.jpeg
    B6A3B381-0120-4C0F-81D7-01C592776DB2.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 27
  • FE5FCFE4-4866-4F6A-9355-4CB3F10EFFD4.jpeg
    FE5FCFE4-4866-4F6A-9355-4CB3F10EFFD4.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 27
Definitely has been removed and split apart so most likely it has been rebuilt. BRP did not use a worm clamp in on the output side instead it was an oetiker clamp centered right at the yellow confirmation dot with latching post towards the rear. BRP also is never that messy with the sealant because they wipe it clean to where it can just barely be seen at the joint.

I personally would still rebuild it just for peace of mind and not worth the risk since you really don't know how long ago it was rebuilt or if it was done properly.

My opinion have it done.not hard to remove I would not risk it.also check to make sure the nozzle is not bent that lubes it.back yard guys have a tendency to wiggle the charger around and move it.

I have been reading this forum nearly every week for many years.
I have a 2003 GTX (bought new) with a N/A 155... so I don't have to deal with this.
I specifically bought the non-SC to avoid "extra things spinning under the hood" so to speak.
It's a true story, but also just my personal preference to go non-SC.

Having spent my entire life in the mechanical world. I really just like to stay current on what's happening with the various Sea Doo models.
I have researched (here) and successfully repaired many things that I had never seen before... like the jet pump bearing/ wear ring rebuild.

IN THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLD, we have a very similar maintenance item known as the timing belt.
If you blow a timing belt because you have a hundred excuses not to change it, you will pay bigtime... probably bent valves or much worse.

The Sea-Doo Forum "Pros" or "regulars" are consistently telling all of us the same thing about the superchargers.
Extreme high speed SC operation with plastic caged ball bearings that WILL FAIL! Period.

1. Rebuild the superchargers per the recommended Sea-Doo intervals to avoid major engine damage.
2. Believe NO ONE... unless you have ACTUAL documentation that the SC rebuild service has been done.
3. If you still have any questions on item #2, then just see item #1.

THANKS to the FORUM in general and specifically all of the guys that donate hours of time and experience to helping our fellow riders.
Your fellow mechanics and shop owners from this... and many other mechanical disciplines... certainly know who you are!

Back