Supercharger Help!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

zechamp

Hello, I hope everybody is doing well. I am located in Toronto Canada, and our cottage lake is showing signs of the ice going out (although still completely covered on the 14th of April). I will soon be getting my machine ready and I have a couple questions.

1) How can I check to see if the previous owner actually rebuilt the supercharger using metal washers? (He claimed to have completed it, I ran it 12 hours last summer with no issues)
2) When summarizing the machine, is it best to let the dealer complete this or is it fairly easy to complete?
3) Any wear issues I should start to look at as my machine is approaching 200 hours?
4) Any way to repair scuffs in the hull?

Thanks for all your help, I can not wait to get out on the water.... hopefully by May.

1). Unless he provides paperwork to prove it, you MUST assume he did not have it rebuilt. Pull it, take a picture of the washers and post the pictures. We can tell you once we see a picture of the washers.

2). You do almost nothing. Check the oil to make sure it didn't drain. Trickle charge the battery. Start the ski for less than a minute. (Do NOT start the ski with the charger attached as you can smoke the MPEM which is expensive to replace). If it fires up ok, to the ramp, let it idle a bit, then have fun..

3). General wire connection / corrosion concerns. If the engine high revs but you don't take off like it should, check the impeller to wear ring clearance.

4). Most scuffs can be buffed out. Use a more aggressive rubbing compound and work your way to a less aggressive and ultimately just a wax.

1). Unless he provides paperwork to prove it, you MUST assume he did not have it rebuilt. Pull it, take a picture of the washers and post the pictures. We can tell you once we see a picture of the washers.

2). You do almost nothing. Check the oil to make sure it didn't drain. Trickle charge the battery. Start the ski for less than a minute. (Do NOT start the ski with the charger attached as you can smoke the MPEM which is expensive to replace). If it fires up ok, to the ramp, let it idle a bit, then have fun..

3). General wire connection / corrosion concerns. If the engine high revs but you don't take off like it should, check the impeller to wear ring clearance.

4). Most scuffs can be buffed out. Use a more aggressive rubbing compound and work your way to a less aggressive and ultimately just a wax.

How much time would it roughly take to remove the supercharger for the first time? Will I need any special sockets or wrenches? Also, is that it for summarizing? Is there anything additional that the marina may have done when they winterized? The battery was taken out before it went into storage and hooked up to our battery tender along with all the other batteries. Would it be recommended to do an oil change?

Last summer I did not experience any high revs without any sudden acceleration or abnormal acceleration. I managed to hit 66mph and would consistently do 63mph. As for the scuffs, most aren't too bad and I was going to buff those this summer when and if I get the time (wedding is fast approaching) however, there is a larger one at the front. I didn't notice it when I purchased the machine and only when I put it on the storage ramp. Is there a cheap way to fix this or would it be more likely to make it worse.

Thanks for the help, makes it a lot easier for a relatively newbie when it comes to maintaining the machine.

Here is a DIY video:

[video=youtube;Wina2KSE-kE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wina2KSE-kE[/video]

I ALWAYS change the oil at the end of the season when I winterize. Two main reasons.

1). It is done and I don't have to worry about doing it before the first ride of the season.
2). The more important reason is, by changing it at the end of the season, you get rid of any and all contaminants that are in it. These contaminants will sit in the block all winter season long and may create an issue. If there is water it can freeze for example. If there is dirt, it will promote rust ect ect.

Post a picture of the "scuff" you are concerned about.

Your avatar sig says a 2003 185HP model, is that correct? Then you already have metal washers. They didn't come out with the ceramic washers until 2004. But the 2002-2003 models had an issue with losing slip quickly, as they have a different setup than the later models. (which is the reason for the ceramic in 2004)

Regardless, you always should rebuild using the latest setup.

Thanks for letting me know that I don't have to worry about the ceramic issues. What do you mean by losing slip quickly?

I have been quoted 550 Canadian for a supercharger rebuild at the local shop. I have searched around various dealers and they seem to be the lowest. Is this price out of line?

Thanks for letting me know that I don't have to worry about the ceramic issues. What do you mean by losing slip quickly?

I have been quoted 550 Canadian for a supercharger rebuild at the local shop. I have searched around various dealers and they seem to be the lowest. Is this price out of line?

we do it for $450USD to Canada. Here is the service page with info: http://www.pwcmuscle.com/sea-doo-supercharger-rebuild-service.html

As for your local shop. Make sure that they use 100% OEM parts and not an aftermarket kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back