Sunken GTI SE 155

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

temp_YRYozbIV

My 2018 GTI SE 155 Sank 3 times this past weekend at the beach, while tied to my Dock in the Inter Coastal Waterway.

Eventually after 2 times of raising it out of the water from 1:00 am - 8:00 am SeaTow finally "rescued" it and got it to a marina where I was able to get it on my trailer. I took it back to my dealer by 4:00 that afternoon and they evacuated as much saltwater as they could.

I'm not mechanical at all and will be an easy target for them to take advantage of, but my gut tells me this will FOREVER be a problem if my Progressive insurance doesn't total it.

So essentially this was under saltwater for 16 hours before it made it to the dealer.

What advice could you offer me.
5c611b5926ad6526d9071271f5d7a2de.jpg

I feel your pain....last year I had an "accident" with my Spark 2 and put a hole in the hull (basketball sized). Needless to say, she sank ass down (fresh water though). Bobbed nose up for maybe 30 minutes before I could swim it back to the dock and get her leveled up. I lifted it out of the water a week later ( i don't live near the ski so I had to get my trailer, etc...).

I replaced the entire hull this past winter and just yesterday....finally fired her back up (after doing all the swap overs...engine, pump, everything else, etc). She is alive once again, so just because a ski goes nose up does not mean it's a total loss.

These machines are surprisingly tough and being under water is not the end of the world, let the dealer have a look see.....first order of business is understanding WHY is she sinking.....cracked hull, ripped bellow????? There are not that many holes in the hull, so you need to know why it keeps going under....a 2018 should not sink that readily....

Think good thoughts...you got her out fairly quickly.....I'll wager that there is no water in the engine...they are sealed up pretty well.....the dealer should be able to rectify the situation. The sinking part is most concerning right now....it shouldn't do that (especially as you describe - at the dock, twice in a matter of hours...water is getting in the hull way too quickly...definately not normal).

2 years ago, I sank (the support cradle broke and the ski fell in the water and was submerged for maybe 4 months (don't know for sure) before I found her nose up looking at me in the boathouse (seasonal access)...it was like JAWS poking out of the water - I didn't expect to find that first thing in the Spring)... "carbed" '96 GTX (lots of water got in that engine)...but she's running again, not perfect yet...but getting closer every week.

If they tear it all down right away, they can save the engine. Not sur about which electronics will be saved though. Sensors might be toast... it's most likely totalled. Salt water is a mean teacher

They might...but an insurance company is going to try to blame you for doing something wrong first....find the source of the leak/sinking so you have something to fight with.

Seadoo actually has a procedure for a flooded engine in the manual. It isn't that big of a deal but it needs to be done ASAP, you can't just let the water sit in there for hours or days. It has to be done immediately and it will be fine.

Yes, it only has 24 hours on it and it is only 1 year old, but Seadoo is saying, "It's all good, we got all the SALTWATER out and changed the oil 3 times."

Yes, it only has 24 hours on it and it is only 1 year old, but Seadoo is saying, "It's all good, we got all the SALTWATER out and changed the oil 3 times."

So why do insurance companies total flood damaged cars? Because the corrosion in the electrics will eventually kill everything - especially salt water corrosion!

Trade it in - let a dealer worry about it!

How does it look inside? Spotless clean? I am no expert but can I assume that the electrics of a Sea-Doo should be designed to withstand some water? Unlike a car a Sea-Doo should be made to take some water inside the hull, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back