Sunk gti130 help please

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

boblavoie

I have a 2015 gti130 that was sunk. Kids left drain plugs out and tied it off to the dock. I have power to the top half of the fuse block but nothing at all on the lower side. I have nothing on the lcd screen. I have no chirp when connecting the key. How much does the computer control? I know on a car the computer is engine management only and while the car may not start you would still have raido dash lights etc. On this ski would a bad computer stop the system from powering up? Thanks in advance for any help or input.

There is a TOPS switch that protects the engine (shuts it down) when flipped. I have seen this trigger (at least for one of mine) when machine is waterlogged as well.

NOTE - check your engine before you even attempt to turn it over -

- pull plugs - check plugs and cylinders for water before you turn over and hydralock bending a rod and destroying motor. I've used shop vacs adapted with small lines to go into plug holes to suction cylinders dry.
- check oil for water (milky look). If it's milky you'll need to do some work to clean/flush it.
- suggest draining oil regardless (sucking it all out)
- take out your oil filter out and suck anything from the filter reservoir
- even pull the valve cover off and suction from the PTO area (see shop manual for details).
- the TOPS valve/switch (see shop manual) can get sludged with water and oil mix which needs cleaning otherwise it can stick and disable engine now and/or later. Same with the hose that goes to the TOPS valve
- the air intake system can have water trapped in it that can haunt you - the intake manifold itself (bolted to starboard side of engine) is like a big water reservoir with no option to drain unless (at least for my 2011) you pull it off and tip it over. I didn't drain this on one of my machines that had taken on lot's of water and first ride water got into the cylinders and quenched the plugs killing engine. Fortunately not enough water to hydralock and damage engine but when I pulled the intake manifold off there was tons of water in there so big potential damage...

The electronics should all be waterproof so you should not have an issue with them unless their seals were bad.

Hope everything turns out okay.

Thank you for the thorough reply. I have already removed coils and spark plugs and used a shop vac with a small piece of hose to get the water out of the cylinders. Will take air filter housing apart as well as exhaust to remove and water from them as well. I will check the tops switch when I get home. Do you know if a faulty computer would shut every thing down like that?

I don't leave my ski in the water overnight, but the drain plugs have a one way check valve that is supposed to prevent water intrusion even if the plug is not screwed in.

I have on at least 2 occasions ridden a full day without my drain plugs and had no problem.

I realize this does nothing to fix your immediate problem, but something to check out in the future.

Thank you for the thorough reply. I have already removed coils and spark plugs and used a shop vac with a small piece of hose to get the water out of the cylinders. Will take air filter housing apart as well as exhaust to remove and water from them as well. I will check the tops switch when I get home. Do you know if a faulty computer would shut every thing down like that?

I'm sure a faulty computer can do a lot of things including shut things down but can't really say if that is your issue. I've seen four newer machines this year 'sunk' and non of them seem to have problems with electronics. Do note that the newer Sea Doo's are very fussy on a battery being good and fully charged so make sure that checks out.

Re water in the engine - if there was water in the cylinders then there is most likely water in the intake manifold (this is not the air box/housing). If there was no water in the cyls there still could be water in the intake. You want to make sure cause you don't want to find out the hard way (again - blow an engine). How was the oil - clear or milky?

The exhaust does not really matter IMO (someone with more experience could feel otherwise) as it's wet anyway - any water in there will get pushed out.

I don't leave my ski in the water overnight, but the drain plugs have a one way check valve that is supposed to prevent water intrusion even if the plug is not screwed in.

I have on at least 2 occasions ridden a full day without my drain plugs and had no problem.

I realize this does nothing to fix your immediate problem, but something to check out in the future.
I did not know this but am anxious to test your theory. Would be good if this was the case although seems like Bob's (OP) plugs don't work that way.

Be sure to change the oil (if water in cylinder it is in the oil) Do a boil out procedure and change oil again, Check all your fuses too. I had one sink with the plugs in. It was leaking where the plug attaches to the ski. I pulled mine off and used a good silicone caulk to make sure that didn't happen again! ran for 2 years after and through a rod. just rebuilt over this past winter.

Exhaust pipe and muffler need to be removed and drained per service manual and experience along with the entire intake system including the intake manifold.

The exhaust manifold is not mentioned just the pipe and muffler, the muffler has baffles and weirs and traps water inside. The exhaust gasses can’t expel all that trapped water it needs to be taken off and drained.

I will be pulling the engine to go through it. So cleaning out the air box, intake manifold, and exhaust will be easy at that point. Computer is trashed so I ordered a new one and will go through the engine.

I will be pulling the engine to go through it. So cleaning out the air box, intake manifold, and exhaust will be easy at that point. Computer is trashed so I ordered a new one and will go through the engine.

Surprised the computer when south. Maybe they are not so water sealed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back