Sucked up a ski rope on 2004 speedster 200

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sacfireman

I recently sucked up a ski rope. It wrapped about 30 feet around my shaft. It did not go through the impeller luckily. I limped back on one engine. Once I pulled it out of the water I was able to cut it and remove it. I put it back in the water, everything seemed to be going just great. Nothing different. When I got home I realized I had a lot of water in my ski locker. Not thinking anything of it... I drained it.

Just got back from a river trip.. I slipped the boat at night... Each day more and more water in the ski locker.. I never checked the engine compartment....bilge pump did not engage .. got to the point where I had to pull it out of the water. I manually used the bilge pump but seemed not to come out .. but it came out the plug drain... Very hot... Which makes me think it was pretty high... Im sure the leak came from sucking up the rope. Any ideas where it could be coming from or what I damaged.. thanks

did you remove the intake grate? Not sure on that specific model, but the intake grate bolts through the hull on my boat. Might need to re-seal the intake grate.

Also, could be a damaged carbon seal from the rope as well.

Last edited:
With Macker29, that much rope likely carbon seal. Put in water and look inside. With as much water as your describing should be able to see where it’s coming in. Check your impeller boot too, When I sucked a rope good it melted the impeller boot.

agree with the above comments- check that carbon seal and shaft o-rings. i just did mine over. good news is the whole carbon seal drive line kit is under $150- bad news is you'll need to send the family away for half a day so they dont hear you cursing out your boat! ;) here's where your carbon seal is (see pic) you'll have to remove the pump and driveline shaft to do the seal over. it'll take you 1 hour to remove the pump, and maybe 1 million hours to replace the shaft seal ;)

Attachments

• 20190805_113849.jpg
    20190805_113849.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 41
When we sucked up a rope on our 2010 challenger I decided to take it to a Sea-doo dealer. He immediately showed me an old wear ring in their shop that was dented (kinked) from a rope being sucked up. Its one of those things you cannot see until the pump is off, so I would take it to a dealer. It wasn't cheap but I'm glad I took it to them because they fixed both the wear ring and carbon seal. I would have never known if I simply cut out the rope.

there's certainly nothing wrong with taking it to a dealer- but in my opinion, pulling a pump off a ski / boat is so simple and quick, you'd save so much time and money doing it yourself. with maybe 3 very basic hand tools and in about 20 minutes, you can drop your pump and clear it and inspect your wear ring. if you need to replace the wear ring, you can find most on ebay for around $40 - $75 and it's very easy to install. it's easier than doing a brake job on a 1990 F150! ;)

there's certainly nothing wrong with taking it to a dealer- but in my opinion, pulling a pump off a ski / boat is so simple and quick, you'd save so much time and money doing it yourself. with maybe 3 very basic hand tools and in about 20 minutes, you can drop your pump and clear it and inspect your wear ring. if you need to replace the wear ring, you can find most on ebay for around $40 - $75 and it's very easy to install. it's easier than doing a brake job on a 1990 F150! ;)

+1 all day long.

Pump removal is a piece of cake on these boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back