Struggle Purchasing Due to the Virus

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Ifonecapa

It's kind of harder to purchase parts and all at this time. Maybe it's due to the pandemic or the holidays. Come to think of it, this year had been full of struggles. I know several people who dealt with mental health issues due to lockdowns. Such a stressful year this is. How did you guys cope up with the stress surrounding this?

Been spending more time with family and working on other projects (not skis). And I still go into work just like before.

Lucky for my area there really isn't a "lock down". Vast areas of open area and low population are the reason I live in Alaska. Even without a virus I would not live in the lower 48, not that it isn't an incredible place but it is wwayyyy to crowded for me.

I am operating under "semi lockdown" in that my Wife and I are sperated and I'm living in a single room in an a house I'm keeping watch over until it's estate is settled. The conditions are odd in that there isn't any anger, we love each other but require time apart. No idea when or if we will get back together, I'm working full time to pay the bill's and keep her under my insurance since she can't work due to a medical condition while I'm sleeping on a cot in a cold, strange to me, room.

Maybe my approach can help you.

1 - Remember it could always be worse.

2 - Keep physically active. For me it's daily practice of everything I have learned and an hour of stretching in preparation for my second degree Black Belt test.

3 - Have a goal of your own. Mine is my 2nd degree test. Don't make the goal the end of the virus or lockdown. Make the goal something YOU can control.

4 - Keep up hope regardless of the possible outcomes, don't give up.

5 - I'd say prayer, but I have to be honest and say this is one of those times Jesus is carrying me leaving one set of tracks in the sand.

6 - Do what you just did, reach out to Friends on the net that have similar interests and just strike up a conversation. Check back daily and respond, it gives you something small to look forward to every day.

Hang in there my Friend.

Been spending more time with family and working on other projects (not skis). And I still go into work just like before.
That sounds busy and fun. I'm glad you figured things out and got through this whole thing. I want to start projects too but I always end up not finishing anything.

Lucky for my area there really isn't a "lock down". Vast areas of open area and low population are the reason I live in Alaska. Even without a virus I would not live in the lower 48, not that it isn't an incredible place but it is wwayyyy to crowded for me.

I am operating under "semi lockdown" in that my Wife and I are sperated and I'm living in a single room in an a house I'm keeping watch over until it's estate is settled. The conditions are odd in that there isn't any anger, we love each other but require time apart. No idea when or if we will get back together, I'm working full time to pay the bill's and keep her under my insurance since she can't work due to a medical condition while I'm sleeping on a cot in a cold, strange to me, room.

Maybe my approach can help you.

1 - Remember it could always be worse.

2 - Keep physically active. For me it's daily practice of everything I have learned and an hour of stretching in preparation for my second degree Black Belt test.

3 - Have a goal of your own. Mine is my 2nd degree test. Don't make the goal the end of the virus or lockdown. Make the goal something YOU can control.

4 - Keep up hope regardless of the possible outcomes, don't give up.

5 - I'd say prayer, but I have to be honest and say this is one of those times Jesus is carrying me leaving one set of tracks in the sand.

6 - Do what you just did, reach out to Friends on the net that have similar interests and just strike up a conversation. Check back daily and respond, it gives you something small to look forward to every day.

Hang in there my Friend.

Thank you so much for this list. And they are absolutely on point. Thank you. I just need someone to tell me these things, like hearing it from a real person. It makes it easier.

I've been reading a lot of articles, and they are all good but yours is what hit me as somehow it's from someone I know I have a connection to, thanks to this forum. Anyhow, here's a good one from ADAA if you're familiar. Top Ten COVID-19 Anxiety Reduction Strategies

Thank you all for your responses! I really appreciate them.

A nonprofessional study has shown a segment of the population that has a high level of immunity to covid, people that have gone bowling.......

Think about it. Have you ever cleaned out the finger holes in a bowling ball before you use it? Toughened up your immune system didn't it.......

Have you ever flown a Drone??

My brother in law loaned me his gopro drone, one of five various units he owns. I used to fly remote planes, got pretty good at it, and spent an hour flying the simulator this drone has. Well it's been -20F for the last week and I was getting a little impatient to try the drone.

Now, you know that little voice inside your head? I ignore it sometimes. Most of the time. Almost all of the time.

I set up the drone inside the little cabin I'm living in. Turn everything on, look at the control display that says "no gps signal available, drone may be difficult to fly" or something like that (I never listen to warnings, it takes up too much time). I do find the special "safety bypass" and disable it.

Now. You would think, as I did, "what could possibly go wrong here).

HOLY SH%$.......

The motors turned on, wind started swirling, green and red lights started flashing, I swear I heard Satan laughing, that f'ing piece of plastic jumped straight up four feet, became a flying cuisinart and started tearing the place apart. It all lasted less than two seconds but I saw may life, the lampshade (pieces of light bulb included), a picture on the wall and pieces of all four rotors just explode and fly in every direction while the drone crashed behind the recliner. I felt like Wyatt Earp, everything around me died and I walked away without a scratch.

2021 is off to an AWESOME start. Hope it's going good for you guys.

Last edited:
Off to an awesome start indeed! Good thing you're safe, but that must have been hilarious! You should have filmed the whole thing.

Last edited:
It's kind of harder to purchase parts and all at this time. Maybe it's due to the pandemic or the holidays. Come to think of it, this year had been full of struggles. I know several people who dealt with mental health issues due to lockdowns. Such a stressful year this is. How did you guys cope up with the stress surrounding this?

Personally, I coped by vacationing twice in Florida instead of once, going to the lake every weekend during the summer, bought land to start building a house in a small country town, and 3x as many ski repairs than a typical year. The only real setback was an emergency gallbladder surgery in late June, but other than that my wife and I "2020'd pretty hard" as we like to say. We refused to lock down.

Parts are still hard to get, though.

Pandemic, holidays, and isolation have tested everyone's ability when out of a social loop for long periods.
I work from home so fortunately my livelihood has not been impacted <knock on wood>. In my spare time I'm working on the xp or taking long walks. My bag of tricks is to break up the daily routine by changing it up.

Wind Trurbine Techs are A$$ho$%#!!!

I work for the local Electric Utility up here and had my first chance to get up in one of the Turbines at the wind farm down the road. Nice and fun, the turbine was off line and locked so we went up in the nacelle to do some work. We had to climb out in the hub and check the monitor system for the blades, kind of wild to know the fiberglass shell you are crawling across is 1/4 inch thick and all that is keeping you from dropping 240 feet.... After the check in the hub we crawled back to the generator, the tech got on his computer unlocked the hub and let the turbine run through it's self checks, feather the blades and come up to speed. Pretty awesome thing to see up to this point.

Now this next part is why I stated my opinion on turbine techs (and why we wear climbing hard hats in the turbine).

A metal tube 240 feet tall with three big propeller blades putting up a ton of wind resistance FLEXES a Sh#@ load...….. It WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE if the tech had at least said "hang on".... He hit the shut down, the blades feathered back, the big stick were on top of snapped back forward, rebounded back, rebounded forward, you get the idea. You know in Star Trek when the ship gets hit by something and everyone gets thrown around inside??? You get the idea...….. Glad I had a helmet on...

Again, IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!! Can't wait to do it again!

Have a good weekend.

Last edited:
Wind Trurbine Techs are A$$ho$%#!!!

I work for the local Electric Utility up here and had my first chance to get up in one of the Turbines at the wind farm down the road. Nice and fun, the turbine was off line and locked so we went up in the nacelle to do some work. We had to climb out in the hub and check the monitor system for the blades, kind of wild to know the fiberglass shell you are crawling across is 1/4 inch thick and all that is keeping you from dropping 240 feet.... After the check in the hub we crawled back to the generator, the tech got on his computer unlocked the hub and let the turbine run through it's self checks, feather the blades and come up to speed. Pretty awesome thing to see up to this point.

Now this next part is why I stated my opinion on turbine techs (and why we wear climbing hard hats in the turbine).

A metal tube 240 feet tall with three big propeller blades putting up a ton of wind resistance FLEXES a Sh#@ load...….. It WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE if the tech had at least said "hang on".... He hit the shut down, the blades feathered back, the big stick were on top of snapped back forward, rebounded back, rebounded forward, you get the idea. You know in Star Trek when the ship gets hit by something and everyone gets thrown around inside??? You get the idea...….. Glad I had a helmet on...

Again, IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!! Can't wait to do it again!

Have a good weekend.

You would think a slow shutdown would be much easier on equipment and employees instead of just locking up the brakes. I would imagine that isn’t sop.

It wasn't locking the brakes, we did lock the hub before we climbed into it. The computer feathered the blades at the normal speed, the blades slowed down their rotation on their own and the tower was just standing back up straight, it was a "normal" shut down. Still a wild ride!

Last edited:
It wasn't locking the brakes, we did lock the hub before we climbed into it. The computer feathered the blades at the normal speed, the blades slowed down their rotation on their own and the tower was just standing back up straight, it was a "normal" shut down. Still a wild ride!

Ok, that makes more sense.

Back