Stripped carb screws

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheflen

I’ve never had these screws this bad, what does anyone do here? Should I drill them out?3120D0F2-EF91-404F-840C-B070A82D708C.jpeg

Center punch and a hammer. I sharpen my center punch to a steeper angle. Put the punch just to the outside of the slots 30 degree angle and medium taps with a light ball pein hammer. Sharpened sorta like prick punch which is just a steeper angled center type punch. Once your tool has a little bite increase the angle for a more directional force. So you lay the punch over more parallel to the head of the screw. No need to hit it real hard. Spray some Blaster on there... that stuff works. I would expect them to come right on out. After you break it loose put the screwdriver in there and loosen it all the way. Good Luck

There are other types of tools you can use small chisel, 1/4 punch. I'm a machinist by trade... I don't like asking stuff to come apart and I don't have all those little special grip tools Some people like impact drivers.... I don't.
Again good luck !! It's easy peasy. :)

Last edited:
Hey AKnarrowback.... if you are good with a hammer there ain't much you can fix... or break. LOL It is a finesse' tool. :D

And buy a JIS screwdriver for next time. Those are not Phillips screws on the carbs.
Yeah I have a jis screwdriver for it, whoever did this last used a Phillips on it and thought they had to torque it to some crazy tension so they were really chewed up and extremely tight

Center punch and a hammer. I sharpen my center punch to a steeper angle. Put the punch just to the outside of the slots 30 degree angle and medium taps with a light ball pein hammer. Sharpened sorta like prick punch which is just a steeper angled center type punch. Once your tool has a little bite increase the angle for a more directional force. So you lay the punch over more parallel to the head of the screw. No need to hit it real hard. Spray some Blaster on there... that stuff works. I would expect them to come right on out. After you break it loose put the screwdriver in there and loosen it all the way. Good Luck

There are other types of tools you can use small chisel, 1/4 punch. I'm a machinist by trade... I don't like asking stuff to come apart and I don't have all those little special grip tools Some people like impact drivers.... I don't.
Again good luck !! It's easy peasy. :)
Thanks for the advice, I’ll have to give that a try

You can drill the heads off of them without damaging the kidney. With one done the other sometimes will unscrew because tension is released. If you have to drill both heads the threads normally unscrew with just your fingers. Left hand drill bits are the best because the bolt usually comes right out before you drill through the head.

You can drill the heads off of them without damaging the kidney. With one done the other sometimes will unscrew because tension is released. If you have to drill both heads the threads normally unscrew with just your fingers. Left hand drill bits are the best because the bolt usually comes right out before you drill through the head.
That seems like a better option for me as I already have a spot hole started for the drill

I just mounted the carbed with the stripped bolts on a mill, once the head broke off I could unscrew the rest by hand.

I like to replace them with stainless allen head screws from Ace hardware. I don't remember the thread pitch or length off the top of my head, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back