Strange Noise - complete with audio!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wakefj

I took my 2006 Challenger 180 out this spring and noticed that every once in a while, it would produce a weird “metallic knocking noise” emanating from somewhere in the engine. The sound occurs once every 10-30 seconds and sounds like someone hitting the block with a ball-peen hammer. Higher RPMs produces louder, but not more frequent knocking. Other than the knock....

- The boat seems to have power and runs fine except for the noise.
- I do believe that I saw the RPMs fluctuate (5-7K RPM) without changes to the throttle, but that symptom is hard to repeat.
- It has fresh gas.
- It's not throwing any codes so wouldn't that rule out a knock sensor?
- Shop said that engine mounts are good.

I took it to a reputable shop that specializes in jet drives and their educated guess is that the SC clutch is failing and they recommend a SC rebuild. They couldn’t with certainty state that it was the SC and I’d rather avoid the rebuild cost without knowing that it will correct the problem.

The boat has ~217 hours on it with the SC washers overhauled at 100 and 198 hours, so the SC washers, etc. have about 19 hours on them, not that it matters. I've always used Sea Doo oil. I run my family around on this so it’s not jumping waves or pushed hard like a ski might be.

Any ideas, anyone???

Link to the short (14 second) video: HERE Listen at 7 seconds, 9 seconds and a slight knock at 11 seconds in and you'll hear what it sounds like at low RPMs. It's much more pronounced at high RPMs.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back