Stator or Rectifier issue? 95 657x Sportster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

r3cc0s

Hrm... so my mechanic was measuring the output of my rectifier from the battery and seeing less than 13v (sometimes dropping to 11) while the motor was running (though I don't know if he had it in forward to get the RPMs high enough) and he thinks this is a rectifier issue...

I ordered a aftermarket 278-000-123 which is the 4wire universal ASD6002 regulator/rectifier and after we replaced it... getting the same results.

Could this be a bad stator? The stator is firing, and I did put a new deep cell battery in.

I'm thinking that I could still use the boat for a while on a full charge and just charge the battery before I use it every night...

but I can't seem to figure out if its the coil in the stator or if I should buy a new stator

Pretty simple...

Put a normal DC meter on the battery with the engine off, it should be 12.5 Volts on a new battery. With the engine running at 4,000 rpm it should be 13.5-14V at the battery. It is ok to try this out of the water just don't run it too long.

Pretty simple...

Put a normal DC meter on the battery with the engine off, it should be 12.5 Volts on a new battery. With the engine running at 4,000 rpm it should be 13.5-14V at the battery. It is ok to try this out of the water just don't run it too long.

My mechanic thinks this is not a stator issue because it’s firing, but it’s not that simple right? It will fire as long as the battery has a charge right?

The stator has different coils. One is for the spark and one is for charging. It is possible one of the two could be bad.

The stator has different coils. One is for the spark and one is for charging. It is possible one of the two could be bad.
I didn't realize that... kinda sucks

Ordered a stator on ebay, but I was hoping it could have been a rectifier grounding issue

Is it possible to run the boat on a good charged battery for a while? Why I ask, is if I'm pulling the motor anyways, I might as well wait for when I do my rebuild at the end of the season

Well most of the aftermarket electrical parts are junk so hopefully you got oem.

I honestly would check voltage as I said before replacing anything.

And the engine will run fine until the battery voltage gets too low then you are stranded.

Well most of the aftermarket electrical parts are junk so hopefully you got oem.

I honestly would check voltage as I said before replacing anything.

And the engine will run fine until the battery voltage gets too low then you are stranded.

Found this out... one of the pins off the stator wasn't really connected... fixed one of the yellow wires and voila it charges!

now to another issue... getting a Beep only at wide open throttle and then it kills my seadoo!!! ugh, works perfect at 3/4 throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back