Starting issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

XP JIM

Getting closer with my 96 XP. Started it went out on the lake and it ran like a scalded dog. Very smooth and fast. On the way back to the dock I realized that if I let completely off the throttle it would die. Got it restarted went to the dock to get my wife and couldn’t get it to restart. Carbs have been rebuilt with OSD back to Oem kits, all fuel hose has been replaced along with the fuel valve and fuel filter. When I pulled the plugs they are pretty wet. I think the idle is too low (don’t have a tach) Any other thoughts?

Probably to low of idle. Raise it up, it should be at 3k out of water and 1500 in water. Or, it should be just pushing you along at a slow clip.

I don't have a tach either

Would it restart with a bit of throttle? The first thing I would do is pick up an inductive tachometer. You can get them really cheaply on Amazon and use it to set your idle and keep an eye on the revs while riding...

"tiny tack" will read your RPM. I say shoot for just over 1300 on the trailer. But it sounds like the carbs are flooding at low speed if the plugs are wet with fuel, not sure if wet means water?

Talked with an “expert” who told me it was most likely the rotary valve timing being off. Does that make sense to anyone?

It’s possible that RV timing is the problem, but I think we need to get your idle set correctly before we jump to that conclusion. The hard restart is due to the plug fouling, so let’s cover the easy things first. Are the adjustment screws set to factory spec, or are they on the rich side? Is the oil pump arm lines up?

If you’re confident that everything is buttoned up in the fuel system, then you can go ahead and move on the the rotary valve. I’d go ahead and check the cover clearance while you’re in there, as I think that’s a more probable cause than the actual timing of the valve. Check the service manual for the procedure. The solder method is the preferred way to do it.

Getting closer with my 96 XP. Started it went out on the lake and it ran like a scalded dog. Very smooth and fast. On the way back to the dock I realized that if I let completely off the throttle it would die. Got it restarted went to the dock to get my wife and couldn’t get it to restart. Carbs have been rebuilt with OSD back to Oem kits, all fuel hose has been replaced along with the fuel valve and fuel filter. When I pulled the plugs they are pretty wet. I think the idle is too low (don’t have a tach) Any other thoughts?

You can get a "tiny tach" at a good price, not terribly expensive. On the trailer it should not sound like it's going to the moon but it will be a fairly high idle, Keep turning idle speed up so in water you don't have to hold the throttle open but the ski doesn't create a big wake. You want the water idle to not be so much you can't control the ski around docks and such.

Ok really dumb question, the fuel line that goes into the rear (pto) side of the carbs and has the y fitting that splits to both carbs is that the fuel feed or the return line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back