Starter Solenoid Issue - clicking sound when trying to turn over...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

supergroove

Hey there everyone! I'm the lucky owner of a 2002 Seadoo X2/Challenger 2000 and so far have had a few really fun days on the water. Though the last time we went out I trusted my buddy to turn the engine off but somehow he left the ignition switch in the "start" position for an extended period of time and didn't notice that it was making a continuous clicking sound... I noticed a short while later and turned it off. Now when I go to start my boat it just clicks. The battery is new and I even tried jump-starting the boat but that didn't work. It was a sad day on the water... we had to get towed back to shore. :(

I've done some extensive searches online (and found a helpful writeup here - http://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/20...-press-the-start-button-replace-the-solenoid/) and found that the culprit is mostly likely the starter solenoid (aka "starter relay"). Though realistically I'm not sure and it could be any number of things. Seen as how it's a cheap part I ordered it on Amazon and tried to install it today only to find that I need the "update kit" (http://www.***********/gp/product/B...ASIN=B001KMUU5W&linkCode=as2&tag=stejenblo-20) that also includes an extra wire harness.

I also found this cable connector online (http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/856) which seems like it may work, but then again it may not be "marine grade" so I'm a bit leery.

So I'm trying to get my boat back in the water as soon as possible but seen as how I'm on the Big Island of Hawaii and shipping tends to take a while I'm looking for advice on how to proceed. Do I just fork out the $40 + $10 shipping to get the new one WITH the updated wire harness or try and fabricate a harness myself?

Also it isn't really clear how to hook up the solenoid and what direction it should face and which wire should go where. I mean clearly the big wires on the big posts should go on top of the new solenoid, but does it matter which goes where? And then there are currently two wires coming off the other sides of my old solenoid (a yellow and a black). How do those go into the new wire harness? It seems like even if I had the new "kit" I'd still be asking similar questions as to how to connect things.

I'm not really that mechanically inclined but doing my best to get my boat back and running. I do appreciate any insight y'all can offer. I feel so close to getting things working that it kind of stings to feel like I have to place another order and wait a couple weeks for the part to arrive. :( Oh well that may be the luck of the draw.

I've attached a few photos I took of my existing solenoid in case that helps:

IMG_9693.JPGIMG_9695.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
befpre ordering anything, try this...

1) Jump across the 2 large terminals with a fat screwdriver. That's your main power, so there will be sparks. But I just want to see is the starter spins. The reason is... just because the battery is new, doesn't mean it's good.

2) If the starter spins the engine... then simply remove the wires, clean them, and put it back together. It may work.

Thanks for the help Dr. Honda. I will try your suggestion soon... and report back hopefully with good news. I now have the service manual so hopefully that will help as well.

Your suggestion was indeed a good one. I tried the screwdriver trick and at first there wasn't any spark so I scraped some gunk off the bolts/posts until it did spark! I then took off all the wires from the starter solenoid, cleaned all connections with a wire brush and file to remove corrosion, then greased with dielectric grease and it started right up! I feel like a real novice as I've done this quite a few times with my cars but somehow being my first boat I had a mental block going. Well that's over I hope. I'm feeling on top of the world having fixed things with minimal effort and expense. Thanks for your help!!!

Glad it worked out.

Sometimes with boats... especially with salt... you just get some junk built up on contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back