Starter problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jetjon

Hey guys I recently got alot of water on my engine. Since then my starter just wants to spin without in gauging the Bendix in to the fly wheel. I just rebuilt the starter about 2 months ago. So my question is did the water cause damage to my starter? Or is it just a coincidence? And can I fix this myself? Is it just another rebuild or can I replace the Bendix?

Hey guys I recently got alot of water on my engine. Since then my starter just wants to spin without in gauging the Bendix in to the fly wheel. I just rebuilt the starter about 2 months ago. So my question is did the water cause damage to my starter? Or is it just a coincidence? And can I fix this myself? Is it just another rebuild or can I replace the Bendix?

Have you pulled it yet to see what's going on? Only way to find out..

Haven't torn it down yet. Tried to attach video but it says it's to large. But anyway while in a vise with jumper cables hooked to it. When I touch the positive leads the Bendix will pop out then go right back in and just spin. Same as on the motor. Sometimes it would catch and turn over motor but most of the time the motor would just bump, then starter would just spin.

It says file is loading so the video might come thru eventually

So I finally tore starter back apart. Looks pretty good other than a lil worn since I rebuilt it. Not sure how to check if Bendix is bad.

Wanted to mention what else I've done in case someone wants to pipe in. I put starter back together. Sprayed some lube under that gear on the Bendix while it was rotated out. Put starter back on and recharged the battery. Bam, Everytime I hit the button it started with no misses. Took it to the river. After the first shut down it went back to spinning several times before engaging enuff to start motor. I brought it home. Took battery and had it load tested and it was fine. Tested 12.6 volts on battery side of solenoid. When I push the button I only get about 11 volts on starter side of solenoid. So does that sound right? I just replaced solenoid about a month ago. At that time I wasn't getting anything when I pushed the button. So I replaced button and solenoid. Now I've got this problem. Any suggestions will be appreciated

A bad ground can cause a loss of voltage and current, check the neg cable grounded at the starter running back to the batt neg, it can corrode inside out.

The solenoid closes directly when energized so if voltage is low on one side it has a bad internal contact.

On the bendix if it’s sticking it’s bad. It should always come out smoothly every time.

I've ordered a new solenoid and new brush kit. I hooked starter straight to the battery with it mounted to the motor. And basically the same thing. It would crank the motor a lil longer before disengaging and just spinning. So I tore starter back down and notice some corrosion on the positive post inside the cap. So I'm just gonna rebuild it again. Hopefully between the 2 it'll fix the problem.

Also I got another question. Is there anything wrong with me just using a 12v marine battery instead of the small powersport battery for starting the motor
? I would like to hook other accessories to the battery. That would cut down on the number of batteries I've got in the boat.

Thanks for yalls replies!

I've ordered a new solenoid and new brush kit. I hooked starter straight to the battery with it mounted to the motor. And basically the same thing. It would crank the motor a lil longer before disengaging and just spinning. So I tore starter back down and notice some corrosion on the positive post inside the cap. So I'm just gonna rebuild it again. Hopefully between the 2 it'll fix the problem.

Also I got another question. Is there anything wrong with me just using a 12v marine battery instead of the small powersport battery for starting the motor
? I would like to hook other accessories to the battery. That would cut down on the number of batteries I've got in the boat.

Thanks for yalls replies!
Did you ever figure out your issue? I have the same problem. After rebuilding mine (just the internals). Now it just spins and does not throw out the bendix. BTW, how the hell did you get the C clip back on the shaft. I removed mine to clean the bendix shaft and now cannot get the c-clip back on?!!!!

Yes. I ended up getting a used starter off of eBay for $50. It worked fine. So I took my new brush kit off bad starter and installed on the new used starter from eBay. Been working fine ever since. Guess the Bendix was bad. Oh and that C clip is a B****!. I can't give any good advice on it. I bent mine to get it back on. It's holding but not the recommended way of putting it back on.

Yes. I ended up getting a used starter off of eBay for $50. It worked fine. So I took my new brush kit off bad starter and installed on the new used starter from eBay. Been working fine ever since. Guess the Bendix was bad. Oh and that C clip is a B****!. I can't give any good advice on it. I bent mine to get it back on. It's holding but not the recommended way of putting it back on.
I'm gonna bring it to a small engine repair place and see if they can put the c clip on. They should have experience doing it with snowblower starters and such.

well I finally got my starter installed and figured out that my bendex was not the issue I had installed the brushes incorrectly and the starter was running backwards. the new brushes have a small indentation that's not like the other indentations on the brush plate that lines up correctly with the cover that contains the glued magnets to keep the orientation correctly. I made a YouTube video on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back