Starter motor bracket

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothsahn

I'm replacing the aftermarket (failed) starter with a rebuilt used OEM starter on my 1996 GTX (787). The used starter came with a circular bracket on it installed on the rear bolts. A picture of the bracket (installed on my starter) is here:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/(KGrHqNHJF!FDyTV5I3hBQ-,uqVc6!~~/s-l300.jpg

Unfortunately, the aftermarket starter DID NOT have that bracket installed, and I don't have a bolt to go through the larger hole into the engine block (didn't come with the used OEM starter). Also, given its location, it'll be a pain to get the bolt installed.

1) Do I need that bolt installed on that bracket, or are the 2 bolts that fasten the starter to the flywheel strong enough? Will the torque of the starter damage things over time without that bracket present?
2) If I do need that bolt, does anyone have a part number or know where I could get it?

The 96 GTX parts catalog shows the bracket on the starter so I would use it. It lists the bolt as part # 215 981 660 (allen screw M8x16) with a washer part # 213 200 002 (8mm washer). The washer is the same as the ones that are on the allen screws that attach the starter to the flywheel. I am not sure of the material the are made of but they are all probably the same as the allen screws that attach the starter to the flywheel. You can check with a magnet to see if they are stainless but that might not be a 100% test. You can probably match them at a good hardware store. All the allen screws show loctite 242 applied.

Thank you both. Got the starter installed over the weekend and it works great. That bolt was a PAIN to get installed--there's not enough clearance even for a 1/4" ratchet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back