RESTO Starter making a loud click noise

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sam_

Hi everybody, I’m new to this forum. I have a 2003 seadoo Gti Le rfi which I bough last year. After I bought it it stopped cranking and makes 1 loud click noise when I hit the start switch. I ended up buying a new starter and it fixed the problem for a few weeks. Haven’t started it in 6 months and it’s making that same noise again. I bought a new starter and it’s still making that loud click. Any ideas ?

My seadoos do that when a connection is loose or the battery is low.

Does the engine turn over OK by hand (slowly) using the driveshaft? That one seems a bit solid, hope nothing is jammed in the engine.

Yes, first things first.... Pull the spark plugs and make sure you can turn the engine over all the way by hand.
Second have the battery load tested as a weak battery will do this exact same thing.
Third what starter did you buy? All of the aftermarket ones are junk.

After removing both spark plugs it turned easily with the oem starter. Got a nice surprise when Oil shot up a good 10 feet in the air and all over the place lol. How bad is this ?

About 4 days if you have the tools and have not done it before.

Add a rebuilt crankshaft as the seals are in centre and us mortals cannot rebuild crankshafts. They will probably take yours in exchange.

Get the correct oil as mentioned above, but I don't run pure seadoo oil.

I don’t think I can do it myself. How much do you guys think it would cost me to have someone rebuild it for me

Your only reliable sources are directly from seadoo for $1100 and SBT for about the same with shipping. Seadoo is better but SBT has a warranty.

Your only reliable sources are directly from seadoo for $1100 and SBT for about the same with shipping. Seadoo is better but SBT has a warranty.

Thanks for the reply. I don’t know if it’s something I can do myself. Any idea how much would a mechanic charge ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back