Starter Locked Engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pwnage1337

Hey Guys

96 XP.

Went out riding today and shut the ski off at a sand bar. Ready to leave, tried to start it, Ski cranked over for about 3 seconds and then just stopped cranking. All it would do when hitting the start button would click, and the starter would try to crank but couldn't turn the motor.

Pulled plugs, tried turning PTO over by hand. Locked up. At first I thought I had a weak battery so I bought a brand new one from batteries plus for $120. I had a crappy chinese battery that was like 50 bucks before.

Took it home and couldn't get it to turn over at all, with a vise grips on the PTO. Nothing in the pump. I pulled the starter and then got the motor to turn over.

Bolted it all back up, put plugs in, new battery, and it fired right up.

What do you think my issue was? Weak battery not having the power to turn the engine over and the bendix becoming lodged in the motor because of not enough cranking amps? I put my meter on the battery while cranking and the battery dropped to 5.5v which is pretty damn low.

After getting it running, I verified my charging system is working by putting my multimeter on the battery with the ski running and voltage climbed to 13.5 volts.

Bolts falling out of the stator jamming the flywheel?

To clarify when I put the meter on the battery and got 5.5 volts, that was the old battery. It's a new battery dropped to 11 volts when cranking

Then I'm gonna say it was the battery. We see so many issues with aftermarket starters. They'll break the shaft or bend it. But, with that voltage drop you posted it was the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back