SPX oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTW

Hi, I noticed a bit of oil in the bottom of the hull. It looks like it is coming from behind the oil pump. Not sure if its from the oil inlet pipe or from the oil pump but on that cover below the oil pump was wet with oil. Is there a common fault that it could be?

What motor are we talking about?

You should do a basic inspection of all the oil lines. The vinyl oil lines that come on these skis get rigid as they get old and can crack.

Pay close attention to the small hoses that run from the pump to the carbs. These are a common failure point and if they go bad and the ski keeps being ridden you will blow your top end.

Also check the two barbed elbow fittings that are on either side of the block. I have seen the oil lines crack right at the fitting, and occasionally they are hidden by the hose clamp.

As a whole I feel as if all my skis generally have a bit of oil in the hull. This is from the engine Being removed and the subsequent oil that leaked while I was doing that. I try my best to clean it up but it often rolls up under the gas tank and appears to have been taken care of untill I go to drop the ski in the water

Clean off all the oil and wipe down all the hoses so everything is clean. Then put a few clean white paper towels down and in a day or two you should be able to see a drop and trace it back.

The only hoses that get brittle and need to be replaced are the little 3/32” hoses from the oil pump to the intake manifold.

Dry off the oil lines with a clean cloth. Especially under the oil tank where the hoses come out. Put a white paper towel under the connections and let it sit. You'll easily find where the oil is coming from IF it is a feed leak. Also remember that the oil tanks can leak at the seam. As NickCawks related... most important are the lines coming from the pump and going to the cylinders. Any leaks there and your done. Couple pics may help. :) I have a red circle around the rotary valve feed fitting. Good Luck !

2003 GTI RFI Engine Oil Line Bottom Connection.jpg2003 GTI RFI Engine Oil lines.jpg

Last edited:
Its not leaking by the two small feed lines. Its either by the inlet hose where the hose goes onto the fitting by the oil pump or by the oil pump itself. In the parts diagram I see there is an O-ring behind the oil pump, could this be the problem and how easy is it to fix for a person like myself who isn't a mechanic? If I replace the oil line from oil filter to inlet by oil pump, what type of hose do you use?

That o-ring isn't going to cause an oil leak it just seals the case. Check to make sure your bleed screw is tight. Might be leaking there. Most likely your hose connection is leaking on the oil pump connection. This isn't your pump but the screw inside the red circle is the bleed screw. It has a gasket on it. You might want to clean the area to determine what is leaking before you do anything. I'll see if I can find the exact pump for you. This is not a 787 Engine pump in the picture.

Oil pump-E.jpg

That o-ring isn't going to cause an oil leak it just seals the case. Check to make sure your bleed screw is tight. Might be leaking there. Most likely your hose connection is leaking on the oil pump connection. This isn't your pump but the screw inside the red circle is the bleed screw. It has a gasket on it. You might want to clean the area to determine what is leaking before you do anything. I'll see if I can find the exact pump for you. This is not a 787 Engine pump in the picture.

View attachment 46228
Would I need to check the gasket condition or just tighten bleed screw? Should I just loosen the inlet hose and cut a bit off and then re-tighten back on or replace with a new line? What hose would you use? Fuel line?

I would verify the leak. As Miki said.... don't just tighten the bleed it might not and probably is not leaking. It is just something to check. Clean the area with some brake-kleen or something to get rid of the oil. and place a white napkin in there. For me the likely leak would be the hose connection and I would use the same hose just snip a little off the end, the length of the fitting perhaps. I substituted this hose once and had lots of trouble sealing it because they hose I bought was too rigid/hard.

To reiterate what Miki said... be very very careful snugging that bleed screw IF you touch it at all.

I'd love to know where to buy the proper line in bulk for the oil feed lines. You can purchase it from Seadoo but I want more than 3 feet for that price. LOL Good Luck.

I would verify the leak. As Miki said.... don't just tighten the bleed it might not and probably is not leaking. It is just something to check. Clean the area with some brake-kleen or something to get rid of the oil. and place a white napkin in there. For me the likely leak would be the hose connection and I would use the same hose just snip a little off the end, the length of the fitting perhaps. I substituted this hose once and had lots of trouble sealing it because they hose I bought was too rigid/hard.

To reiterate what Miki said... be very very careful snugging that bleed screw IF you touch it at all.

I'd love to know where to buy the proper line in bulk for the oil feed lines. You can purchase it from Seadoo but I want more than 3 feet for that price. LOL Good Luck.

I’ll just check the bleed screw. Which one is it in the attached pic?Image1580720515.320856.jpg

I looked at that picture before I posted my last reply. I don't see the bleed screw in the picture. Those screws look like the pump attachment bolts only. Perhaps the bleed screw is considered part of the oil pump. I'd call myself new to this but I've not witnessed a bleed screw leaking after working on 20 or so skis. I'd have to say the chances are slim that the bleed screw is the cause but ya never know. Look again at the picture I posted... that is what it will look like. See how the bleeder is situated in the center and into the oil channels? Good Luck !

The bleed screw on the 787 doesn’t look like a screw, it’s more like a silver elongated nut. I think it’s something weird like 6mm and has a small sealing washer.

I'd love to know where to buy the proper line in bulk for the oil feed lines. You can purchase it from Seadoo but I want more than 3 feet for that price.

You're kidding right? You've asked before and got responses.... OSD Marine. It works great, it's 'proper', priced right, and readily available.

I will get some paper towel today and put it underneath to see where its dripping. I thought I had some lying around but didn't. I did wipe the area clean two days ago so I could sort of see where the oil was coming from, I checked this morning and it actually feels dry underneath by the oil pump and inlet nipple but there was still a little stream of oil at the bottom of the hull so not sure if its coming from under the engine somewhere. Its a funny leak though because I first thought it was coming out the overflow of the oil tank so I stood the jet ski with the nose up and there was no leak or oil but when the jet ski is level or nose down there is oil at the bottom of the hull.

I will get some paper towel today and put it underneath to see where its dripping. I thought I had some lying around but didn't. I did wipe the area clean two days ago so I could sort of see where the oil was coming from, I checked this morning and it actually feels dry underneath by the oil pump and inlet nipple but there was still a little stream of oil at the bottom of the hull so not sure if its coming from under the engine somewhere. Its a funny leak though because I first thought it was coming out the overflow of the oil tank so I stood the jet ski with the nose up and there was no leak or oil but when the jet ski is level or nose down there is oil at the bottom of the hull.

It also looks sort of like petrol and oil mixed that’s leaking. Black/purple oil with another clear fluid

It also looks sort of like petrol and oil mixed that’s leaking. Black/purple oil with another clear fluid

A bit off subject but it sounds like you may have the wrong oil in there based off the color.

What's the motor look like? Are you seeing seepage out of any of the seals?

The only hoses that get brittle and need to be replaced are the little 3/32” hoses from the oil pump to the intake manifold.

Wish I had a picture of the vinyl hoses that came in my xp. All of them were stiff as a board and cracked in several places. This is perhaps because the ski had sat in someone's yard for 8 years with the wrong oil in them.

A bit off subject but it sounds like you may have the wrong oil in there based off the color.

Wish I had a picture of the vinyl hoses that came in my xp. All of them were stiff as a board and cracked in several places. This is perhaps because the ski had sat in someone's yard for 8 years with the wrong oil in them.

I’m using the quicksilver pwc 2 stroke oil. Where would I look to see if any seals are seeping?

The stock 12mm & 8mm hose is polyurethane and will not get hard and crack. Vinyl hose is not what you want to use.

The stock 12mm & 8mm hose is polyurethane and will not get hard and crack. Vinyl hose is not what you want to use.
Interesting. Perhaps someone had previously swapped my hoses before I bought the ski.

I’m using the quicksilver pwc 2 stroke oil. Where would I look to see if any seals are seeping?
that should be fine as long as it's the api-tc low Ash. I just always think to double check when I see or hear about the blue colored oil.

Basically around the base gasket where the top and bottom end connect and the head gasket. It's unlikely that this is your problem but easy enough to check and eliminate as part of the issue

Vinyl clear is fine only for all the water cooling runs, bailers, etc, which I run in my skis no issues. Tygon lines specific for oil and fuel are necessary. I tested a little piece of vinyl line with some XPS oil one day, the next it was hardened like a piece of plastic.

I have put down paper towel this morning. Will check it after work. But took some pictures this morning. These are after I cleaned the area and left it for 24 hours. You can actually tell from the photos it’s coming from somewhere near the oil pump. IMG_2060.JPGIMG_2062.JPGIMG_2061.JPG

I’ve just rebuilt the carbs, could it be that the oil pump isn’t adjusted right and that it’s not closing? But even if it’s adjusted wrong and not closing surely it shouldn’t leak anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back