speedster vs sportster vs challenger -- what is the difference between them?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomjonesrocks

I have been looking around for a used Speedster as my first boat--but was wondering what the differences are between the Speedster, Sportster, and Challenger.

I'm looking for a small boat--the smaller the better actually, as I'm hoping to tow with a Jeep Liberty and really mainly just plan on my wife and 3-year old coming along.

Thanks!

what years?...if the mid/late 90's, the Sportster has 1-720cc, challenger has 1-800cc, and Speedster has 2-720cc.

I'll sell you my Sportster 1800 in my Avatar...?, pm if interested

yeah, he had mentioned though, smaller the better, so I interpreted, that he's look'n for the 14.5ft Sea-Doos.

But right, the 18ft Challengers have the 2-787, believe in 98, Speedster went with new design for a 17ft which has the 2-787, and Sportster 1800 has 2-720cc

what years?...if the mid/late 90's, the Sportster has 1-720cc, challenger has 1-800cc, and Speedster has 2-720cc.

I'll sell you my Sportster 1800 in my Avatar...?, pm if interested

Could someone please clarify this some more for me? I thought I understood the differences, but now I'm not clear.

There's a 18' '97 Challenger in my area that advertises *twin* 110HP Rotaxes.

SeaDoo's marketing suggests the Challenger as a cruising boat and the Speedster as the performance boat--and I don't want an underpowered boat so have preferred the Speedster. But twin 110HP Rotaxes is a lot of power (seemingly--though the Challenger is larger).

Is there a handling difference between the Speedster and Challenger in these years?

Thanks.

basically all of them will run the same top speed (done months of research of picking the right boat)

the speedsters and sportsers will be very quick and nimble, hold less people usually burn less fuel and are easier to tow. They are great for pulling tubes and waterskiers but the ride is alittle rough and bumpy

Challanger will be more room, more people, more comfortable ride and will pull multpile tubes and are decent for wakeboarding

Could someone please clarify this some more for me? I thought I understood the differences, but now I'm not clear.

There's a 18' '97 Challenger in my area that advertises *twin* 110HP Rotaxes.

SeaDoo's marketing suggests the Challenger as a cruising boat and the Speedster as the performance boat--and I don't want an underpowered boat so have preferred the Speedster. But twin 110HP Rotaxes is a lot of power (seemingly--though the Challenger is larger).

Is there a handling difference between the Speedster and Challenger in these years?

Thanks.

Had both the 18fters. Challenger will get you 8-10mph more, with "better" seating arrangemnt.
Speedster, with 2-110's, is 16.5ft, (my avatar pic), have yet to test waters, but CANT WAIT...:reddevil:, also, only seats 5

Had both the 18fters. Challenger will get you 8-10mph more, with "better" seating arrangemnt.
Speedster, with 2-110's, is 16.5ft, (my avatar pic), have yet to test waters, but CANT WAIT...:reddevil:, also, only seats 5

If you don't mind me asking--why did you go from the bigger to the smaller boat?

For me the "easier to tow" factor is quite key--I don't have experience driving around boats and am using a Jeep Liberty with 5k tow capacity to tow so lighter will be easier to handle--even if the rating says I could tow any of them. I'd of course like the "better ride" but perhaps not if the tradeoff is maneuverability--but won't ever have a need for more than 5 in the boat--so have targeted the Speedster--but haven't found a example used just yet I really wanted to buy. Found one tempting one with Mercury motors but was scared off.

What did you pay for your '99 Speedster?

Last edited by a moderator:
basically all of them will run the same top speed (done months of research of picking the right boat)

the speedsters and sportsers will be very quick and nimble, hold less people usually burn less fuel and are easier to tow. They are great for pulling tubes and waterskiers but the ride is alittle rough and bumpy

Challanger will be more room, more people, more comfortable ride and will pull multpile tubes and are decent for wakeboarding

Is that to say a Speedster shouldn't or can't be used for wakeboarding?

you can wakeboard behind it, just doesn't produce a huge wake thats all. I perfer my speedster over my friends challenger. If you don't need the room and want something that turns on a dime and gives you 9 cents back the I recomend the speedster. I also reccomend the single engine lol I have two motors and one is being rebuilt and now worried about the other one

If you don't mind me asking--why did you go from the bigger to the smaller boat?

For me the "easier to tow" factor is quite key--I don't have experience driving around boats and am using a Jeep Liberty with 5k tow capacity to tow so lighter will be easier to handle--even if the rating says I could tow any of them. I'd of course like the "better ride" but perhaps not if the tradeoff is maneuverability--but won't ever have a need for more than 5 in the boat--so have targeted the Speedster--but haven't found a example used just yet I really wanted to buy. Found one tempting one with Mercury motors but was scared off.

What did you pay for your '99 Speedster?

My world...everythings' for sale...except this boat (Speedster, unless the price is right), which, was the case for the Challenger and Sportster 1800's.

For the price,..knock on wood, but, have a total, w/ pick'n it to/from Las Vegas, and registration...1100 buks, plus now 450 for upholstery, and she sounds killer...rip'n to Laughlin, Sat. morning (Upholstery in on Friday)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back