Speedster Non Wake - Ballast?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tusakha

I am looking to upgrade from my Sportster 155 to a Speedster 200 Wake edition. I'd really like a 210 Wake but since they came out in 2010 they are still too expensive for me.

Finding a Speedster 200 Wake in Canada (Ontario) is tough right now without significant travel. I'll keep looking but in the meantime I was wondering about what modifications I could do to a non wake Speedster 200, which I can find more readily.

There are several available with a tower, so no problems there. I realize that it would be missing the Perfect Pass and the ballast, both of which I would want.

So I can pick up a Perfect Pass for a little over $1000, no problem there.

My primary question then is about the ballast system.

On a 200 Wake, where is the ballast system and is it something specifically built into that model as compared to the non-wake edition? I was told that it was a hard shell tank and not a plastic one like a Fat Sac.

Would a non-wake edition have the same hard tank but not the pump hardware? Such that I could but purchase the pump, hoses, etch and install that to have a ballast?

So in sort, I guess the question is can I get a non-wake 200 and install more or less a "factory" ballast system, or will I have to go with a third part Fat Sac type and use one of the storage compartments.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I see soft ballast bags online that I can look into. These have an external pump and hoses to fill and drain. I'm sure it would work fine and there is a ton of room in the ski compartment in the floor of the boat. I was hoping more to find out if anyone had already done this and how big of bags are needed to surf.

Sounds like both of us are being steered to the Fat Sack or similar product with external pumps. There is a a factory WAKE setup online, which does include the plastic hard tank that goes in the ski compartment in the floor. However, it did look very expensive. I did not inquire if it was possible to mount that AFTER the boat was put together. In other words, did that need to go in prior to the floor being installed. For ease and time, I think we're both looking for aftermarket "Fat Sacks". But how big is needed to make a good wake and not swamp the boat? 475# or 1000# or 1500#. I have no idea.

I would venture to guess the aftermarket fat sacs are going to be your best best. I agree with RR in that the OEM ballast tank may not go in without removing the sole. Even if it simply dropped in, you'd still need to account for plumbing, through hull fittings, wiring, etc. to make it all work like factory.

Fat sacs give you the ability to shift the weight around to your liking as well. If you want to wakeboard, then one large fat sac across the back may be plenty (750-1000lb). If you want to surf behind the boat you may need more ballast and/or a wakeshaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back