Speedster 200

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes... The bilge pump removes most water that's accumulated in the lower portion of the hull including the engine compartment. Depending on it's location it may not get ALL the water out. Typically bilge pumps are both automatic and can be controlled manually by the switch on the dash. Why do you ask?

Oh ok .. after around 2hrs of boating I noticed an excessive amount of water flow out of my plug after coming out of the water .. I didn't think to use the pump and wasn't sure if it was automatic.

I'm new to boating

How much water, a gallon or two, more? If your getting in and out of the water alot, you will drag more water in the boat than you think. There are other factors, rain water may be held in nooks and crannies this can move around the boat when on the water. Of course, if there is a leak, that would need to be addressed. I definitely would confirm your bilge pump is working if you are unsure, you never know when you may need it.

Yeah good points.

I would say around 4 or 5 gallons .. I think the rainwater advise maybe the answer .. as this was the first time I've taken the boat out since last summer. Ie I'm in Sydney Australia

If you store your boat on the trailer, you can always use a garden hose to fill your engine compartment to test your bilge pump. It should kick on automatically once the water is about half way up the pump. If it doesn't kick on, the float is either stuck or broken. Then try the manual switch to confirm the pump is actually working. If it's not you'll need to check electrical connections. If they're all good, then you may need a new pump.

If you store your boat on the trailer, you can always use a garden hose to fill your engine compartment to test your bilge pump. It should kick on automatically once the water is about half way up the pump. If it doesn't kick on, the float is either stuck or broken. Then try the manual switch to confirm the pump is actually working. If it's not you'll need to check electrical connections. If they're all good, then you may need a new pump.
You wiring for the boat has 3 wires to the pump. Switch, auto (hot all the time), and ground(common). The auto wire connects to the battery via a fuse near the battery. Check the fuse. The prior owner of my 200 had a non-automatic pump installed with just two wires to the pump. I replaced with a three wire automatic pump. Best to be safe with a working pump.

Well I was on the water for 2.5 hrs I didn't use the pump .. when I got out of the water before unplugging I took this photo .. does it seem dangerously high ??
4b33623ec03e80cb767b494930e13a18.jpg

There should be very little water inside the hull (under normal circumstances). It's obvious your auto bilge isn't working. Did you try to hit the switch and activate it manually?

Check your carbon seal and bellows as well.

Hi I didn't use it manually .. I thought I'd check to see if the auto worked. Obviously not.

Next time I'll manually try and then see if it expels that way.

So that water line is too much ??

Hard to tell the depth of the water from your pic. How high is it from the bottom of the bilge? How far up the bilge pump body?

Yes, there shouldn’t be that much water. Also never store the boat with drain plugs in. If the boat is out of the water plugs should always be out. Rain water and installed plugs have ruined numerous engines.

You need to check for blockage and check the fuses. You can back flush the pump for blockage. Fuses are in the engine bay in the fuse boxes. I aslo breaker under the driver steering wheel

Last edited:
From the pic it looks to be 2 inches of water which may not be enough for auto to kick in. A pic of the water next to the pump can help us net time. Usually in the water as you accelerate to plane the dead rise causes the water to rush back to the pump making that flat 2 inches about 6 inches by the pump. The pump will turn on and expel the water. In my experience it take a hefty amount of water to engage the auto pump while on a flat plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back