Speedster 1998 Ruined jet pump

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lithium2g

Almost 6 months ago I replaced the drive shaft and fly wheel on the LH engine as discussed here.

Finally got the boat out on the lake over the weekend since testing it only once since fixing it. It was running ok but take off speed was sluggish at times. Then I had some issues starting it. It was like the engine wouldnt turn over. Left side engine was making some wierd noises but eventually started. Thought it was a fuel issue but I persisted. It started ok when it was warm but If i left it for a bit to cool down it would have trouble starting. I continued to use it at near top speeds for half an hour or so.

I took it back to the boat ramp and discovered the nose cone was freely loose on the pump! I knew the bearings were wrecked. Got home and pulled the pump and discovered severe damage to the nose cone and pump assembly because of the friction of the loose nose cone against the pump.

I am certain there was water intrusion on the previous lake test months prior but I failed to look at it closely after using it.. Lessons learned. I should have done pressure test to make sure there was no leak....

The pump assembly is damaged to the point the nose cone will no longer sits flush so it all has to be replaced. I can't see any way of mending it with silicone or anything
Im looking at these two options but I need advice on which way to go.

1. Buy a new SBT jet pump assembly with everything needed for $700AUD
2. Buy 2nd hand from ebay $400 which will take 2 months to get here or $350 from jet ski wrecker in Australia who have one available from a jetski

Are the SBT new ones any good? Or should stick to OEM for half the price and risk getting a dodgy one.

Attachments

• 118481534_2553728828272323_3187426553167973993_n.jpg
    118481534_2553728828272323_3187426553167973993_n.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 118516362_302287567699060_3055597615135800566_n.jpg
    118516362_302287567699060_3055597615135800566_n.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 20
Which ever way you go, make sure you get a large hub pump. You just can't get any old pump from a ski. I think a 99 and up RFI ski shares that pump with the boat. But just pay attention to the hub. I'll try and post a pic later tonight. But it's easy to distinguish from the pump cone.

Which ever way you go, make sure you get a large hub pump. You just can't get any old pump from a ski. I think a 99 and up RFI ski shares that pump with the boat. But just pay attention to the hub. I'll try and post a pic later tonight. But it's easy to distinguish from the pump cone.

All the options I looked at are the exact part#204160055 to the speedster. That's all that matters right?

Yes, that is the correct part number for your pump. What I was trying to say is if you go to the seadoo jet ski wrecker he might try and sell you a small hub pump for your boat.Yes it would work. Just trying to keep you boat the same as it left the factory.

Went second hand and got the pump delivered on friday. Put it all together with my old impeller and everything seems ok with firing the engine.

IM a bit scared to water test it....It looks like pump oil could be leaking from one of the 3 screws that hold the nose cone to the pump. I think the manual says to use loctite but is thread sealant appropriate?

Also lost the steering bushing 293350012 its come off in the water somehow.... Its the plastic thing that spins instead of metal on metal contact... can these be obtained easily? They are available from some of the online stores but they will take months to get here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back