Spark Died - Will turns over once

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

S Padre

Premium Member
Premium Member
So the ski died while in use (2up) and wouldn't restart, we towed it in. Tried to start it at docks again and it turns over once and stops abruptly, same every time. Pulled battery and charged just to be sure, it read 13.3 off the charger. Checked the 20 pin plug and it seems fine. I can't see anything in the impeller area but I am taking off the intake grate in a minute to see in the front better. What next?

I changed the oil at 50 hrs but did not reset the maintenance, it is now at 150ish...

Help!

Great thanks for the idea! From reading I was guessing that may be the next step. I also pumped out the oil to see if it is gritty :facepalm:

Was due for an oil change anyway...

Will update in a hour or so.

Same results with the plugs out. Pumped out the oil, not gritty, filter clean, no metal that i could see...

What is next?

See if you can turn it over by hand to make sure it isn't locked up. if the engine turns freely by hand then you may have a starter or flywheel issue. If you towed it quickly without pinching off the water hose you may have filled the engine with water and when cranking it hydro locked it which could have damaged something, may be a separate issue from why it died to begin with, or a rod or piston broke while riding and the engine is locked up.

We towed it slow, 5 MPH, but don't have GPS module for accurate speed so probably a bit slower... Hope that is slow enough.

How should I turn over by hand, looked in the shop manual and didn't see instructions for that, also did some searches online, found mainly info on older skis. Don't want to make a mistake.

I assume plugs out, do I remove anything else? rotate by hand from where?

Thanks again greenhornet2!!!

Sorry I haven't worked on them and I don't know where you can turn the engine over from really. I assume you may have to turn it over with the prop. Yes plugs out, turn it in the normal rotation of the engine (also not sure which way that would be but you would be able to tell if you watch the rotation of the prop when you hit the start button.

If the engine is not locked up and it turns over, it could be a bad starter. Had one of our rentals go underwater the other day and after emptying the intake and cylinders and trying to restart it would do the same thing as yours. Would turn over once and stop. Battery wasn't dead, so I swapped a starter from another boat and problem fixed. Other starter housing cap was cracked. Just a possibility to check.

Good luck!

Anyone know how to properly turn a seadoo spark by hand. I saw a thread for a full size ski that said to take off the cone one the pump and turn with a allen drive.

Back