So many questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Dingo@24

Hello everyone. Well the plan was to buy my first PWC for fishing in the Florida Keys this Saturday (10/28) until I started to read some forums about the Sea Doo Pro Fish Trophy and hydro lock happening while people are fishing. Can anyone help out a noob and tell me if this is a very common problem ? Is there a way to prevent this from happening ? Is there an aftermarket part or something that can be used to prevent water from backing up into the exhaust?

Thanks for your time and patience with my noob questions.
-Dingo

Hi Dingo, yes I have fish pro sport. You only have to worry about water getting into the intake when engine is off while being towed, at anchor in currents etc. Install a tow valve to prevent the water flow in those situations. I ran my ski with out a valve with no issues. I had to do more research to get an understanding of the issue. I installed a valve and no worries. Also there a clamps available to pinch off the hose if emergency tow is needed.

20231024_162843.jpg

Dingo, You're in the Keys. I wouldn't let this stop you from having a great time fishing on a great platform. KrazyIvan is right. There's a possibility depending on the various ways owners use their Fishpro, however the info posted usually contain very little information to make any conclusion.

The system is very simple. There are two lines coming into a jacketed exhaust manifold on the bottom. One is from the high pressure inlet between the impeller and nozzle. When the impeller is rotating, high pressure is created here and pushes the water to a lower pressure area. The other is the flush port. There is a smaller hose coming out of the manifold and goes up in a U shape that provides water into the exhaust. There a reason it's design that way.

If you are in high current, anchored from the bow, there may be a chance a high pressure system developed at the inlet from the flow, however any flow into the jacket will drain back out at the flush port. So you don't want to plug or leave any adapter on your flush port restricting flow.
I guess the other way to get water in is to anchor from the back in high current, but I just don't see any one doing this.
Another possibility is running an electric trolling motor at high speed against the current?

Hi Dingo, yes I have fish pro sport. You only have to worry about water getting into the intake when engine is off while being towed, at anchor in currents etc. Install a tow valve to prevent the water flow in those situations. I ran my ski with out a valve with no issues. I had to do more research to get an understanding of the issue. I installed a valve and no worries. Also there a clamps available to pinch off the hose if emergency tow is needed.

View attachment 64452
Hey Ivan, thank you for replying to my post and I appreciate the information very much. I will definitely install a valve like you mentioned. The pic you shared is that of the valve you installed. Thanks again. Dingo

Dingo, You're in the Keys. I wouldn't let this stop you from having a great time fishing on a great platform. KrazyIvan is right. There's a possibility depending on the various ways owners use their Fishpro, however the info posted usually contain very little information to make any conclusion.

The system is very simple. There are two lines coming into a jacketed exhaust manifold on the bottom. One is from the high pressure inlet between the impeller and nozzle. When the impeller is rotating, high pressure is created here and pushes the water to a lower pressure area. The other is the flush port. There is a smaller hose coming out of the manifold and goes up in a U shape that provides water into the exhaust. There a reason it's design that way.

If you are in high current, anchored from the bow, there may be a chance a high pressure system developed at the inlet from the flow, however any flow into the jacket will drain back out at the flush port. So you don't want to plug or leave any adapter on your flush port restricting flow.
I guess the other way to get water in is to anchor from the back in high current, but I just don't see any one doing this.
Another possibility is running an electric trolling motor at high speed against the current?
Hi, thank you for the reply and all the information. I am definitely going to take you and Ivan's advice and install a tow valve. Any other info or advice either of you could share would be very much appreciated. Living in the Keys and not having a way to get on the water and fish is driving me nuts. Just last week my 21-foot boat sank, and I was thinking instead of another boat why not try something different and go with the Sea Doo Pro fish Trophy. Thanks again. Dingo

Living in the Keys and not having a way to get on the water and fish is driving me nuts. Just last week my 21-foot boat sank, and I was thinking instead of another boat why not try something different and go with the Sea Doo Pro fish Trophy.
Sorry for your loss. Some people might think it would be a step down moving from a boat to a Fishpro. The fishpro is almost like a one-person machine. It's a drag to fish with 2 people. If you're mostly fishing by yourself, it's ideal. There's less room, more fuel efficient, and way more fun. When I was looking for a used Fishpro, the majority of the people selling were moving to a boat platform.

Back