Signs of salt water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

legojones

Hi All.

I live up in Canada and I just purchased a 2003 Utopia 205 with the 250 Optimax. The boat is in excellant condition and seems to run fine on the test hose but I just noticed yesterday that there is a RIV (Registry of Imported Vehicle) sticker on the trailer. This means the boat the was imported from the U.S. Of Course the seller never bothered to mention this fact and I never noticed at the time.

This has me worried that this boat may have been used in salt water and from what I have read in this forum a boat used in salt water needs special care or its prone to corrosion problems.

Are there tell-tale signs that a boat was used in salt water? Is there some way to find out where a boat was originally sold by using the S.I.N.?

Thanks
Kevan

White "rust"

If it has been used in salt water, you will find a white crusty "rust" corrosion on some of the aluminum parts. The paint may be flaking off and there will be white "scab" looking material present. If you don't see this, either it hasn't been used in salt water, or the owner cleaned it well enough that it likely won't matter.

On anything I own it doesn't have an of those things Scott. But then again I'm real meticulous about my things. Saltwater isn't a bad thing if you take the time to keep everything clean. You just can't ride it and put it away.

Karl

I agree...

If you don't see this, either it hasn't been used in salt water, or the owner cleaned it well enough that it likely won't matter.

sorry for me, the previous owner did NOT clean it enough so it DOES matter...:(

You should buy one from me next time...you could lick my seadoo's. I keep my HEMI Charger RT like that too...even the undercarriage.

Karl

Kaven, I don't claim to be a SeaDoo expert by any measure but I have owned a SeaDoo PWC and now an 07 Challenger 180. Both of these boats have been in nothing but salt water from day 1. I agree with Karl that Salt Water is not to be feared....it just means more cleaning and it helps if you enjoy working on your toys. I live on the Gulf Coast of Florida within minutes of the water so I never leave my boat in the water overnight. I use a pressure washer after I flush the engine....with soap after every use and have had no problems at all. The owners manual does have a salt water section that addresses specific parts that need attenion (lubricant) when used in Salt Water. I have also noticed that the sacrificial anodes on the boats need to be replaced every few years....but hey that's why there on the boat.

Happy boating.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back