Should I get this XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

knfevg

Hey guys. I can put my hands on this (photo attached) XP. I think it's 2000, but I'm not sure. The price is almost nothing (probably the owner will want 700 bucks together with the old carrier) but I dont know ANYTHING about it's mechanical condition. I know it doesnt have paper work but I'mm checking on how this can be resolved. What should I look at, when going to check it? Is it in general a smart idea? I know nothing about PWCs and never owned one but I'm good with mechanics and enjoy more on working on a machine than actually riding it :) This does make sense, however, only if the machine is interesting and parts are readily availble.... What do you think?

66857195_2925165120887236_170574381347504128_n.jpg

That's a 2000 XP with the 951 engine.
No paperwork and not running it's not worth more than $500 at the most.

They can become a money pit really fast.

The only thing you can check is compression if you take a good battery. Never jump them or use a boost box. Perfect compression is 130 psi each cylinder and at 110 it's shot.

At an absolute minimum even if everything is perfect on it you are going to have about $400-$500 in parts just to get it running and reliable.

Just finished one I bought for 400 bucks. Had to do bottom end $699 had to machine cylinders $125 plus all other things I have close to $1,400 all in. Mikidymac is right it can spiral out of control fast make sure you do your due diligence on it. All fixed and in perfect shape you probably can sell it in my neck of the woods for around $2,800 no more but it has to be perfect

Sorry guys, forgot to say that I'm not from US. In my part of the world 12 years old Waverunner VX goes for 4K and more....
If I wont be able to find how to resolve the paperwork thing than this is a no-go.
Thanks on the compression figures - was about to start looking for them. besides compression, what other things should I check?

Mainly compression, does it turn over?
Does it have spark?
Is the oil red or is it blue? Blue is the wrong oil for these.

If I take it and rebuild it, how nice is the ride (most probably wont be able to sell it for profit as the local market isnt' about unique machines)? Would I enjoy it or any more modern machine with 130-160 HP 4-stroke gives a nicer performance a fun?

Sorry guys, forgot to say that I'm not from US. In my part of the world 12 years old Waverunner VX goes for 4K and more....
If I wont be able to find how to resolve the paperwork thing than this is a no-go.
Thanks on the compression figures - was about to start looking for them. besides compression, what other things should I check?
I picked up the location right away. :) People in the United States have no idea how blessed with are when it comes to prices and ownership of such vehicles. That said, I have 2 of those types of skis and have not worked on them (see picture below) yet because it doesn't look like fun getting to all the parts. :) I'd rather work on and own a SeaDoo GTX carburated version. and a 787 engine. But with your project if you can get parts cheaply give it a go. I wish we could help more but I'm sure shipping is expensive. Good Luck !!

Attachments

• IMG_0874.jpeg
    IMG_0874.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 13
Any ski is a great ride, depending on what you want out of it, how hard or soft you push it, etc...

If you are a glutton for punishment and/but enjoy the challenge of bringing something (like this machine back to life), and you have the time, money, patience and intestinal fortitude to keep at it....GO FOR IT. I see you are in Israel...does that mean this machine has been an ocean runner (maybe in its past)...or a fresh water beast? Either way...I'd be concerned about salt water issues most likely.....and if the paperwork is DIFFICULT (how fussy is that process in Israel????) or impractical...walk away....hunt elsewhere....

That's my 2 cents worth....good luck either way you decide.

As far as this 1998+ XP I absolutely love it. It’s the fastest 2 stroke ski Seadoo made excluding the race RXX. It carves turns hard with an inside lean and cuts through the chop really well. It’s still challenging but playful unlike the 4-strokes. I love my 2001 XP.

As far as this 1998+ XP I absolutely love it. It’s the fastest 2 stroke ski Seadoo made excluding the race RXX. It carves turns hard with an inside lean and cuts through the chop really well. It’s still challenging but playful unlike the 4-strokes. I love my 2001 XP.

You are motivating me to put the engine in that 1998XP. :)

I owned a 2000 XP for a season until the engine blew. It was a blast to drive...for one person. If you want to use it for 2, buy a different ski. It was fast and fun but not ideal for a family.

Ok, tnx for the comments. Tomorrow I'm having a talk with the registration office to understand if I"ll be able to get the paperwork done. If not than it's a no go. Than, I'll see the ski, measure the compression and see it's general conditions. If the guy will got down towards 200-300 USD I'll take it.... if not - I'll look for something else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back