Should I add a second battery?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerbrit

Hey guys,

So I've got a 2000 Challenger 2000 with the Mercruiser 240 EFI M2 Jet Drive Model# S240J30WS, Serial# OE382883. I am looking at adding a new sound system with 2x 8" speakers, 2x 8" tower speakers, 1x 10" sub, and a 5 Channel Amp to power everything. I have been researching a lot about adding a second battery and running dual batteries and I've come up with 3 ideas. I could be completely wrong on all of these but that is why I'm here to get your feedback because I don't know what to do.

1) Stay with the one battery but upgrade it to a premium combination (starter/deep cycle) to run the added accessories. However, from what I've read my boat doesn't have an alternator but instead a stator so I don't think I can upgrade the stator to handle charging a bigger battery (I could be wrong there still a little confused about that part).

2) Add a second battery with a Blue Sea Systems add a battery kit (not sure if I'd need the 65A or 120A kit, from everything I've seen on my Stator I assume it is a 40A so I'm thinking the 65A kit). I believe this kit separates the batteries so one is dedicated for starting while the other is used for accessories and it combines them for starting/charging. However, from what I understand my Stator would not be able to keep up charging both batteries since it maxes at 40A. So I don't think this option would work.

3) Add a second Deep Cycle battery but keep it isolated from the Starting battery/ Stator. I would essentially be running my stereo solely on battery power. I am guessing I would be able to find a deep cycle that could handle running my system for an entire day on the lake then just recharge it at home. Having to plug up my battery after every use wouldn't be an issue for me.

Those are my ideas. Do any of them sound feasible? If so which is my best option? I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks guys!

I am running 2 deep cycles in my Speedster. Nothing like having the peace of mind of a second battery. And yes I've had one battery die on me from listening to the stereo for several hours.

XP 787,

What is your battery set-up like? Do you have them connected together with a relay or do you keep them isolated and just switch to the other when one dies?

They are isolated. My switch has 1,2 and All settings. Whenever I park and listen to the stereo I switch to 2. If I run that battery down I just switch to 1 and it starts right up. I never turn the switch while the boat is running though, I heard its bad for the MPEM.

I see. That's not a bad option. If I can't find out anymore on my other choices I'll probably end up doing the same. Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back