Seadoo XP ‘95 720 cc will not start up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krizzy

Hi all - I’m new to the PWC scene. I just bought a 95 XP last week. It started up fine the first time I took it out and ran well, was a little jumpy with the speed but the guy who sold it to me said a new wear ring and pump seal would fix that....

next, it’s the 3rd of July and I took it out to make sure it was gonna run for the 4th, but it wouldn’t start up. Realized the battery had died as water corroded it, so I switched the batteries and it ran fine..

I took it out again on 4th of July, started off fine during the day with new battery, rode it for a few hours, then it randomly died in middle of lake, tried to start it up but nothing for 10 minutes, ended up getting towed back to land, tried the jetski about 20 minutes later and it started up and ran fine again.... then, after that ride we tried for one last one and it wouldn’t get going...

So, yesterday, (3 days after the 4th) I tried starting it up (this time on land) and after a minute I finally got it and it stayed running for a while (20-30 seconds) before I shut it off. Figured it was fine so I decided to take it out today and when I hit the water it wouldn’t start again. The engine has always cranked and sounded like it wanted to startup until today, when it is just making a vibrating/buzzing noise near the front of it. It’s being very inconsistent and I’m not sure what could be wrong. Any ideas?

I took a video of the sound it is making when I’m trying to start up today: https://streamable.c0m/8h0rv5

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
Just remove the spark plugs...And try and spin the motor by the pto where the drive shaft meets motor should spin easily...with plugs out.

You may have to remove the guard for drive line its two nylon wing nuts fixed to the mounting plate.

Just remove the spark plugs...And try and spin the motor by the pto where the drive shaft meets motor should spin easily...with plugs out.

You may have to remove the guard for drive line its two nylon wing nuts fixed to the mounting plate.

Ok, I was able to spin it but needed some force

Can you take a video of this? If its spinning i would assume its ganna be your starter..were you cranking for 10 mins straight? Did you rebuild the carbs? Change filters? Drain and refill with known good oil. These are the min you need to do before a ski touches water...You may have gotten lucky with the starter but a oil/gas deprieved motor wont be happy and wont run for long

I can take a video tomorrow, had to head home. I was cranking it for a while trying to start it today, the whole time it was making that same noise in the video. I haven’t rebuilt carbs, and was planning changing the oil when I put the wear ring on that’s coming next week. Do you think it’s the starter? Would I need a whole new one?

I hate to ask too much, but do you think you could send a link to a new starter that would fit my model? Just to be sure I’m getting the right part

I hate to ask too much, but do you think you could send a link to a new starter that would fit my model? Just to be sure I’m getting the right part
The video stream sounds like the starter bendix is grinding against the engine flywheel.

Aftermarket starters are junk....assuming you have an OEM starter, a rebuilt OEM starter is still better than any AM starter. There are rebuild kits available for Seadoo starters and it is not a very complicated job to rebuild a starter. The real challenge is removing and re-installing the starter...its buried on the bottom side of the engine...either under the carb(s) or the exhaust system.

The video stream sounds like the starter bendix is grinding against the engine flywheel.

Aftermarket starters are junk....assuming you have an OEM starter, a rebuilt OEM starter is still better than any AM starter. There are rebuild kits available for Seadoo starters and it is not a very complicated job to rebuild a starter. The real challenge is removing and re-installing the starter...its buried on the bottom side of the engine...either under the carb(s) or the exhaust system.

Hey, thanks for the response. Unfortunately I just saw it - I just got done replacing the starter with an AM one. Had to take apart exhaust but had my brother help and only took us an hour and a half.... anyways, even with the new starter it’s not starting and making the same noise. Any ideas?

Trying to start it after new starter: Streamable Video

Try spinning that PTO some more by hand to get the starter to actually engage with the magneto and also pull the plugs out to take all the load you can off the motor, and if you have someone to help have them cranking while you spin the PTO (counter-clockwise while looking from the rear) and see if it engages and starts spinning then let me know what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back