SeaDoo trailer question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

f2shooter

Morning everyone,

And a wet one it is here in Alabama. Quick question on trailers. Since I've gotten everything else done on my GS and plan to test it out Saturday I need to make sure all is good on the trailer. It would suck to have something go bad in the middle of nowhere which is how one gets to Lake Martin. I am planning to check the wheel bearings but wonder, are these sealed bearings? Can they be re packed or are they closed off and don't normally get serviced, basically remove and replace. The whole unit made the 120 mile trip here from Birmingham without issue but if something can go wrong it will happen on the way to the lake. I'll check tire pressure and condition and probably lift it and see if there are any unhappy noises coming out of the bearings, just wonder if there is a way to repack the bearings before hitting the road. Or a need to do so.

Rick H.

Depends on the trailer. Mine came with a rubber cover over the bearing hubs with a grease fitting underneath. Some have a metal cap over the bearing hub. I usually take those off and install bearing buddies. Cheap, easy to install and easy to keep bearings packed and water free.

I passed over Lake Martin this weekend going to Auburn. And yes you can get out in the sticks quick.

My quick check is to jack up a side of the trailer and grab the tire and try to shake it, checking for play in the bearings. Also, I'll spin the tire to make sure all sounds well. That being said, I almost always replace bearings in a new to me trailer. While it may be unnecessary at times, bearings are cheap and I'd like to know it's done right.

What size tires are on the trailer? Those little 8" tires will put more wear on bearings than larger tires also

It stopped raining here long enough finally for me to give them a modest visual. I looked closely but didn't see where the tire size might be printed on either one. Could be all the dirt that got splashed on them in the day's rainfall. I did measure and while I've never quite understood what determines tire size the metal rim has a diameter of right at 13.5 inches. I don't know what size that is but I'll get some photos in the morning and post them here. The left wheel has a cap over the bearing area and I haven't removed it yet. The right side has a cotter pin and apparently a castellated nut, not unusual for a wheel bearing. In any case I'll jack it up tomorrow and test as mentioned above.

Rick H.

If you can see the nut and cotter pin you are missing the cap or bearing buddy. I would imagine that bearing is shot. It shouldn't be exposed to the elements.

It figures. My nephew is a smart guy but doesn't always take the best precautions on mechanical things. Time didn't allow me anything at all today but I purchased grease and a few items this evening and will be working on it early in the morning. I did discover today that the $28/gallon of oil is an incorrect price. It's a little over $50. Oh well, I'll get that in the morning too. As always, anything that floats or flies costs more. But it's worth it.

Rick H.

You can repack those bearings just need to get new seals also if the bearings arent pitted and worn they will be fine just pack new grease on them

The bearings were in very good shape. I cleaned and re-packed with new grease and everything is rotating smoothly and quietly. I decided to push my luck and see if it would start. It did. Nothing left to do now but put it in the water and see if I still get along with it.

Rick H.

The bearings were in very good shape. I cleaned and re-packed with new grease and everything is rotating smoothly and quietly. I decided to push my luck and see if it would start. It did. Nothing left to do now but put it in the water and see if I still get along with it.

Rick H.

Does the ski still have the grey fuel lines in it? I'd caution against running it if so- I'd hate to see your new toy get burned up on the first ride.

No those have been replaced. I put a 10 minute test run on it in the yard with a water hose hooked up for cooling. It all went well, no problems I could detect, the head didn't even get past a warm temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back