RESTO Seadoo Sportster 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AirJordan613

So I have what seems like a very interesting and unique opportunity. I had a 1998 sportster 1800 that I sold about 10 years ago. Great boat, loved it very much. I get a call this week from a boat dealer. The dealer said that my old boat was taken in for service a few years ago and was never paid or picked up. The dealer says it has tried to contact the supposed owner several times for the past few years and is considering the boat abandoned. It's been sitting for about three years. And, when the dealer wanted to get rid of the boat, it turns out my name is still on the title. The buyer never titled the boat in his name. The dealer wants to just give it to me for $500 if I go and get a replacement title, just so the boat can get off his lot. It's sitting on my old galvanized trailer too. One engine is not running and is disassembled. Needs a full rebuild. Interior is fairly beat. And the bimini and mooring top are visibly missing. I could see it as potentially being a fun resto project. Those are all the current details that I have. I'll attach some pictures. Thoughts? Advice?

20160316_190553541_iOS.jpg20160316_190600213_iOS.jpg20160316_190608085_iOS.jpg20160316_190616058_iOS.jpg20160316_195902623_iOS.jpg20160316_195926615_iOS.jpg20160316_200034209_iOS.jpg

Attachments

• 20160316_190547203_iOS.jpg
    20160316_190547203_iOS.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
$500 is good price. I have the same boat. Title in your name yet that is no brainer here. Get that engine sent out to be rebuilt for sure if you have all the parts. New Interior is like $450. You have you put like $2000 or so in it if the other engine is still good. Either way you can part it out if worse comes to worse.

I figure the trailer itself is worth more than $500. It's just crazy to potentially have the boat back after 10 years. It was prestine when I sold it which is sad. Just don't want to buy a nightmare.

In reality you should get 2 engines one is gone the other would more than likely follow next. The exterior looks in good shape the interior is not that bad but I would just recover all of it. Doing it all right I bet you will be $3000-$4000 in it. The person you sold it to did nothing but gas and oil until the engine went out more than likely. If he is a seadoo dealer I would have them hook it up to the scanner so he can tell you the total hours on it. I am sure the $500 is for the bill that guy owes. Either way you can make back your $500 in the trailer and parts if you don't fix it.

In reality you should get 2 engines one is gone the other would more than likely follow next. The exterior looks in good shape the interior is not that bad but I would just recover all of it. Doing it all right I bet you will be $3000-$4000 in it. The person you sold it to did nothing but gas and oil until the engine went out more than likely. If he is a seadoo dealer I would have them hook it up to the scanner so he can tell you the total hours on it. I am sure the $500 is for the bill that guy owes. Either way you can make back your $500 in the trailer and parts if you don't fix it.

You're correct. The $500 he wants is to partially cover his storage costs. That being said, I don't think sitting outside in a large yard is worth $500. Also a little concerned about the freezing and thawing while sitting out there for three years. The motor was torn down but to parts have been replaced and the block has not yet been bored. I don't know the status of the other motor. I'm told it ran when it was dropped off.

I have an SES motor in my GTX DI which has been running well, but I would definitely look into SBT this time for a faster turnaround. I removed the motor from the GTX but didn't reinstall. How bad is a motor installation in the sportster 1800? I see 717 guides on SBT but nothing boat specific.

It's easy as long as you like working with your head below your knees!!! There is enough room to work.I haven't done it in any other boat so I can't compare, but it did not seem overly difficult to me, just time consuming and uncomfortable. I was too chicken to remove the hatch, I hear that's a must to get a more comfortable stance to work. There are 4 or 5 main pain steps. Exhaust, Starter/Electric to Starter, Carb, Oil hoses, Water hoses and Driveline. from memory I think that's it.

717 are all the same in ski or boat. Just the intake & fuel system are different. I am going to take the hatch of my Sportster 1800 when my engines come back from Fullbore to remove and put in the new ones. It does suck working over the seat. I am just not sold on the SBT engines since they like mass produce them. I know people have had good luck and some haven't. I know they mess with the heads and I am not sure what parts go inside the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back