Seadoo GTI 2007 Stiff steering

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

onotoman

Hi guys
My first post and Jetski so go easy.
Just bought a lovely 2007 GTI to enjoy New Zealand's great outdoor life.

The ski is really good but the steering seems stiff and squeaks. Is this an easy fix?

Any advice appreciated.

Best wishes

Dave

Welcome to the forum!!!

Sounds like you will need a new steering cable. Not too difficult to do but it will take some time and some patience.

You have a steering cable from the handlebars to the rear of the ski’s jet drive that is metal and slides inside an outer cable covering. They get corroded over time and can sometimes break, leaving you without steering, which is not fun, I can imagine. You can try WD-40 or another lubricant spray to see if it will improve and lubricate the sliding action, or just replace the cable. I sometimes pull off the rubber fittings on each end of the cable, where you see the inside cable slide into the outer covering. Then I spray a lubricant into the cable, as much as I can, and then push the rubber fittings back on. It is tough to get to the one under the handle bars, but I do it. I think it has helped my ski steering stay pretty smooth, and I ride in salt water often. But you might want to have the peace of mind to just replace if you have a very sticky cable. You also have a similar cable for your reverse lever, but you don’t use that as often, so it may also need the same attention.

Hi Guys
Many thanks for the replies. Upon checking further the stiffness seems to be in the handlebar area (inside the steering covers). Presumably if I remove the cover around the handlebar etc. I'll be able to see some sort of bushing that will need lube or replacement?

I took my steering cover off once to bend my handlebars back after a little accident, which is a story for another day, but yes there is a steering bearing. But I remember thinking to lube mine and it was not visible to me with the cover removed. I think someone with more experience could tell you better, but I couldn’t find a place or way to lube by removing the steering cover itself. I think you have to go further with removing more of the body to get to the bearing and I can imagine it is sealed and not serviceable. You probably just replace.

Thanks for the advice Milehighguy303.

Our local Jetski repair guy said the cowling (that holds the gauges etc.) needs to be removed to get at the steering bush to lube/replace. The cowling is riveted in place, so these would need to be drilled out. He quoted around $250 NZ Dollars for the work, so I think I'll leave it to him.

Cheers

Dave

I took my steering cover off once to bend my handlebars back after a little accident, which is a story for another day, but yes there is a steering bearing. But I remember thinking to lube mine and it was not visible to me with the cover removed. I think someone with more experience could tell you better, but I couldn’t find a place or way to lube by removing the steering cover itself. I think you have to go further with removing more of the body to get to the bearing and I can imagine it is sealed and not serviceable. You probably just replace.

much more likely it is the cable than the steering column. there is no bearing in the steering column, just a bushing which almost never has issues. the cable disconnects under the hood.

Hi guys
Quick update.
I removed the storage bin at the front of the ski and thoroughly lubricated the cable while moving the steering lock to lock. It freed up fine and is much smoother.
Thanks for all the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back