Seadoo challenger 2000 with mercury 240 WILL NOT PLAIN OFF??? Help please

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orlando33m

Ok so i recently bought this seadoo challenger and everything was fine till last week the boat would just rev but not go faster then 3 mph or so. Engine sounded great and at WOT the boat just would not go anywhere besides like driving through a no wake zone --SLOW I looked it over and noticed the wear ring was gouged so replaced both wear ring and stator-- not cheap. Put back in water and everything was fine for first 5 minutes. I thought all was fine so the next day I load up the boat with 5 people and again once I give it some throttle it goes no more then 3 mph but the engine winds like it wants to go 50. I pulled it out and looked at wear ring thinking it was an issue but impeller and wear ring look great no scraping or anything. Engine is not issue meaning it starts, idles, revs up normally but boat won't go. I did notice on my test run there was a constant beep which usually in past was for fuel being low but this beep was constant and would not shut off. When I started it to take it out of the water only driving about 100 yards no beeping but not able to plain off at all just a nice sounding engine. PLEASE HELP. THANKS

Either you sheared something in the drive....

OR.....

There's a hunk of junk in the intake of the pump. (i'm betting that's the issue)

If you suck in a branch, or a shopping bag... it can either block the pump, or cause enough cavitation that you just don't move. Crawl under the boat, and take a look.

The beeping on your boat can be a few things. One of witch is overheating. If it's a constant beep... that's over heat. AND... if you are cavitating to the point where you can't go... then you aren't pushing water into the engine either. (you cooling water comes from the pressure in the pump) rhythmic beeping can be an error in the ECu, low volt, high volt, water in the fuel, low oil, low fuel.... etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing in grate clean no weeds or debris. Again remember I had the issue then after I replaced stator and wear ring the initial 5 minute ride was perfect got to about 47 or so in no time but as I was pulling into dock a constant beeping not intermittent but consistent beep that only ended when I shut off boat. Two days later I try to go for a ride but as I get to half throttle I feel the boat on going I go to WOT and engine revs but I'm going 3 mph. I then decide to shut it down and that's where I stand so if there was something stuck it should not have let me go fine on initial ride after replacing those parts.

You can get something in the pump at any time. You could have easily sucked grass in while at the dock.

But, it sounds you have a plugged cooling system. You may want to investigate the cause of the over temp.

Don't want to state the obvious but.... the pick up for the cooling system is in the wear ring .. so if you have a cooling problem AND you are cavitating, you may have something stuck between the impeller and wear ring.

Thanks and forgive my ignorance but if something did get in pump what's best way to deal with that meaning the pump has to be removed??

Thanks and forgive my ignorance but if something did get in pump what's best way to deal with that meaning the pump has to be removed??

You said you checked the grate and it was clean. Did you look up into the pump area where the impeller is? You can get sticks, rocks, pop bottles, etc.. stuck in between the impeller and wear ring.

When they say STICK, it could be as small as a TWIG...

It is truly amazing what happens when a twig gets sucked up and gets stuck in the impeller area.

As mentioned above, you need to look higher into the grate area up where the impeller area is.

Ok so i recently bought this seadoo challenger and everything was fine till last week the boat would just rev but not go faster then 3 mph or so. Engine sounded great and at WOT the boat just would not go anywhere besides like driving through a no wake zone --SLOW I looked it over and noticed the wear ring was gouged so replaced both wear ring and stator-- not cheap. Put back in water and everything was fine for first 5 minutes. I thought all was fine so the next day I load up the boat with 5 people and again once I give it some throttle it goes no more then 3 mph but the engine winds like it wants to go 50. I pulled it out and looked at wear ring thinking it was an issue but impeller and wear ring look great no scraping or anything. Engine is not issue meaning it starts, idles, revs up normally but boat won't go. I did notice on my test run there was a constant beep which usually in past was for fuel being low but this beep was constant and would not shut off. When I started it to take it out of the water only driving about 100 yards no beeping but not able to plain off at all just a nice sounding engine. PLEASE HELP. THANKS

hi, just came across this add... i recently bought a 2001 speedster with the mercury 240 v6, it was running perfectly fine and the exact same thing happened to me.. now im not a mechanic and got little knowledge! but while researching for a solution i came across exhaust hose delimitation. i removed both rubber hoses and indeed they were delaminated... the outside looked perfect, the interior layer over time kinda melted and was stuck together... therefore when accelerating it was revving fine but wouldn't go faster. thinking it had something to do with the rpms and voltage i replaced the voltage regulators and the exhaust hoses, after that it ran perfectly fine! maybe this could help you..

rev but no-go

Nothing in grate clean no weeds or debris. Again remember I had the issue then after I replaced stator and wear ring the initial 5 minute ride was perfect got to about 47 or so in no time but as I was pulling into dock a constant beeping not intermittent but consistent beep that only ended when I shut off boat. Two days later I try to go for a ride but as I get to half throttle I feel the boat on going I go to WOT and engine revs but I'm going 3 mph. I then decide to shut it down and that's where I stand so if there was something stuck it should not have let me go fine on initial ride after replacing those parts.

As Dr. Honda mentioned "Maybe you sheared something in the drive" (gearbox).

If you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN the there is no junk in or wrapped on the impellor, time to look at co$tly cau$e$. Check the oil for the jet gearbox and look for chips and/or chunks. Oil should be clear green or blue, not milky or glittery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back